EntrepreneurFix Is a Free Entrepreneur, Business and Start Up Forum

Connect With Other Entrepreneurs Online Today!
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Yahoo & Google Entering Into A Partnership Again

Discussion in 'Online and Internet Marketing' started by Cleveland76, Oct 21, 2015.

1. Cleveland76

Cleveland76 Entrepreneur

Yahoo & Google Together Again In New Search Deal

Search Engine Land recently discovered that Yahoo & Google have been in talks again to enter into yet another partnership. They had previously worked together in the early 2000's, with Google providing some of the listings in Yahoo's search results. This new agreement is a similar arrangement, but it also comes at time when Yahoo is also in a partnership with Microsoft, doing something similar with them.

Several years ago, Yahoo abandoned it's own Pay Per Click platform called Panama, and agreed to have it's paid search ads and organic results powered by Bing. Since that time, Yahoo has once again built another ad platform of it's own, Yahoo Gemini, which powers a portion of it's ad space.

This new agreement with Google, will display their organic and paid ads within Yahoo properties, up to 49% of the time, with Yahoo and Microsoft providing the rest of their own ad inventory.

2. Jade

Jade Entrepreneur

Now my dream of a website called "Yoogle" ;)
  3. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Entrepreneur

This is actually a great news, specially to those people who use content marketing and SEO for their business/website. :)
  4. pwarbi

pwarbi Entrepreneur

While it could be great news, I might be a bit cynical but I think that Yahoo didn't really have a choice but to find a partner as their market share is decreasing rapidly.

That puts Google in a strong negotiating position and while it might be good for us the consumer for now, in the future Google might have an eye on taking over completely, and that would put then in an even stronger position than what they're in now.
  5. missbishi

missbishi Entrepreneur

I agree that Yahoo needed to do something drastic to stay afloat. I remember back in the late 90s, everyone seemed to have a Yahoo email address but this soon got overshadowed by Gmail and use of their search engine dropped considerably when Chrome was introduced.
  6. T J Tutor

T J Tutor Administrator Entrepreneur

Yahoo has been desperately seeking a partner to pull them out of the rubble for many years now and it never happens because they refuse to subordinate themselves to the companies they court. They will be absorbed at some point soon, they're running out of interested parties. If the Google deal falls through, it may turn out to be the move that turns out the lights in some way and could send them down the path of AOL, still around but not significant!
  7. arthnel

arthnel Entrepreneur

I'm a little surprised at how resilient Yahoo has been. They have been overshadowed immensely by moves made by Google and many other companies that usually keep Yahoo a step or two behind. Google getting into such a partnership indicates from early out the possibility of buying out Yahoo in coming years. I like the idea of them staying afloat but in the business world that means submerging soon enough or selling out. I can't tell the last time I even went on Yahoo.
  8. Cleveland76

Cleveland76 Entrepreneur

Yahoo got eclipsed by Google in the early 2000's in the paid search space. Despite Yahoo having a several year head start in paid search advertising, their back end platform which operated it was poorly designed, difficult for advertisers to use, and prone to click fraud. When Google came out with their own AdWords platform in the early 2000's, it was infinitely better and easier to use than Yahoo's offering, and drove even more volume due to Google's quickly established brand popularity. It also made it harder for advertisers to scam each other with click fraud, and prevented low quality ads from hogging the top positions, which was a better overall user experience for surfers.

When Microsoft came out with their own PPC platform, it too was much better than Yahoo's. They had a better in house development team to build it that Yahoo did not, but Microsoft didn't have the user base that Yahoo had, so it made sense for them to partner up. Yahoo had the volume and Microsoft had the better technology for it's ad platform.

Yahoo's re-entry into the paid ad space seemed promising at first, but I think the quality of their home page has really gone downhill over the past few years. Nearly every single "news" item is obviously some sort of paid ad masquerading as a legitimate article. I don't trust them for real news at all. Their front page news feed is constantly littered with articles about the next iPhone or Samsung phone, as well as many other fake articles shilling other products and services.
  9. davidper

davidper Entrepreneur

google, I wish they merged together
  10. jona

jona Entrepreneur

That's because Yahoo has been very big on other markets outside the United States, so much so that in some Asian countries specially it was used over google, I am not sure if that continues to be the case but if I remember correctly Yahoo was huge in Japan. Also, they own a couple of properties that are very relevant even today: tmblr and flickr, Well I don't know how relevant is flickr anymore but they own it.

They are also, or were, big in the whole fantasy sports thing.

Featured Businesses (View All)