EntrepreneurFix Is a Free Entrepreneur, Business and Start Up Forum

Connect With Other Entrepreneurs Online Today!
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Work so much, you're mistaken for a robot.

Discussion in 'Mindset and Motivation' started by Slique, May 11, 2016.

1. Slique

Slique Entrepreneur

Is it a bad thing to be a workaholic?

How do you stop yourself from becoming one?
    setupdisc likes this.

2. setupdisc

setupdisc Moderator Entrepreneur

Live in a bad neighborhood. You'll see so many people holding signs near the freeway or asking for handouts from what you earn, you'll eventually start to question why you work so hard while they get your money for free every day just sitting there.

I was having an early breakfast the other day at a coffee shop when a few people who do that came in, sat down, pulled out stacks of 1 and 5 dollar bills, and said brazenly how much easier it was than the job they used to have. I just shook my head and tried to enjoy the rest of my breakfast, but really couldn't.

But about working too much to where people assume you're a robot, I've had that happen a few times. Be that as it may, I still find captchas to be a mild annoyance. Robots everywhere approve of this message. And some don't, but they have to enter captchas manually. :p
    T J Tutor and Valerie like this.
  3. Valerie

Valerie Entrepreneur

Living in Japan, I see this a lot: people who work so much they have to life outside of work. In fact, work IS life here. So many company employees forego family time, "me-time", and even socialization with people outside of their coworkers. There are men who, for years upon years, get up at the same hour, eat the same breakfast, do the same work and accrue 100 hour work weeks.

To me, this is extremely unhealthy and unsatisfying. I could never be a workaholic. Routine is a total buzzkill. Granted, you need some of it... but to be as rigid as working continuously, non-stop, without doing anything in the pursuit of happiness is sad. Though I've gotten caught up in work a few times, I realized that my frenetic efforts were just a waste of energy. I'd rather work less but more productive than obsess over work being perfect and getting nothing done. Quality over quantity, I suppose.
    T J Tutor and setupdisc like this.
  4. Nathaneal

Nathaneal Entrepreneur

That's awesome!
    I would agree with the title. When I see something very consistent I get atleast a slight thought of it being something robotic. I don't know how everyone else thinks. But with some uniqueness you will know its not & value the content. Being an entrepreneur is going to lock you into 'work' 24 hours a day, so then there is no such thing as a workaholic
    setupdisc likes this.
  5. Slique

Slique Entrepreneur

Work is without a doubt necessary but what happens when you don't set aside any time for downtime, breaks or vacations every now and then? I think you lose out on life that way, to me, you're somewhat defeating the purpose of working so hard to the point where there's no time for a bit of relaxation. The body needs rest and so does your mind and without some type of 'self love', you are setting yourself up for serious ailments. More and more, I'm appreciating the approach of working smart compared to working hard.
  6. rz3300

rz3300 Entrepreneur

I do not think that it is a bad thing, necessarily. In some cases it is probably a good thing. That said, though, the first thing that my mind goes to when I read about something like this is Bartelby The Scrivener. It is one of my all time favorite stories and a good little anecdote for this question. Sometimes you can feel like a robot, and too much of that might just turn you into a Bartleby, where apathy and going through the motions become the norm.
  7. briannagodess

briannagodess Entrepreneur

I guess it isn't necessarily bad to be a workaholic but it has its pros and cons. Being a workaholic means you might earn more and be able to buy all the things you want. Having a career makes you feel extremely proud and accomplished. More so if you are excelling in your career. But I think just having work in general is fulfilling, it makes you feel capable and useful. For me, I love working because it makes me feel like I have worth. I can contribute to the finances of the family and at the same time, afford my wants and needs.

Of course, being a workaholic means less time for your family. And I think that's the worst disadvantage of it all. You would also suffer some major health issues due to the lack of sleep and time for yourself. Stress is another thing that can make matter of your health suffer. You would also feel like, at times, that your life revolves around your work and that can make you feel like you're in a never-ending cycle.

I guess there are some things you can do to avoid working like a robot:

• Set a schedule and follow it. Arrive at work at the same time and leave at the right time. Finish your work for the day, don't take work home as much as possible.
    • Have other activities, be it exercising or maybe a hobby. This would break the monotony of your work life.
    • Invest your money so you would have some spare for your retirement. You won't need to work even in your older age.
    • Spend time with your family on the weekends.
    I hope this helps!
  8. Corazon

Corazon Entrepreneur

My father-in-law is an epitome of a workaholic. I met him when he was already past 60 but still with a robust physique. It seems that he never tires of working. When he went to the US at age 66, his first job was in a warehouse, carrying heavy cargo. His last job at age 79 was as a security guard of a bank plus a part time job in a convenience store. The way I see him, he is like a robot whose purpose in life is to work.

As we approach old age, my husband and I agreed to take it easy since we are already financially secure. Although we both still work but not to the max anymore. We also take vacations as often as we could unlike before when we would scrimp on vacation so those vacation leaves would be converted into cash.

Featured Businesses (View All)