EntrepreneurFix Is a Free Entrepreneur, Business and Start Up Forum

Connect With Other Entrepreneurs Online Today!
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

What Some Modern Companies Are Doing Wrong

Discussion in 'General Business and Entrepreneurship' started by Nikita, Feb 24, 2016.

1. Nikita

Nikita Entrepreneur

My friends and I like to talk about what companies are doing or what they should be improving on sometimes because we get to learn a lot about what we can apply to our own companies and businesses this way, or if not it can also just be a thought provoking and entertaining conversation.

That said, I'd like to ask you guys about the same thing. I have been noticing some missteps by Youtube and Twitter lately and it seems like content providers and users are noticing these a little more than usual because they do seem like a bit more major mistakes than their previous ones. Twitter right now, for example, has gotten a fair bit of criticism for unnecessary censorship by means of their newly formed panel of content checkers being sold under the guise of quality control but after seeing some of the decisions made by this panel it is becoming apparent that they are just censoring whatever is deemed disagreeable by one of the panel members or groups. I think this is a huge misstep considering that their whole model relies a lot more on freedom of speech than most any other social site. If you want to learn more you can look up the current controversy concerning Feminine Frequency.

Youtube is going through similar controversy but it's more in line of fair use and how they provide more protection for big companies making false claims or copyright and letting them get away with it freely without ramification while the content makers get the brunt of the damage and even leaving them without any major form of recourse. If you want to learn more about this just seek out the phrase "where's the fair use" or the twitter hashtag #wtfu.

I'd love to hear more so we can all learn more from the mistakes of others, and if you have any comments on the examples I have provided I'd love to heard them as well.
    setupdisc likes this.

2. eProject

eProject Entrepreneur

It does not mean that when we have the freedom of speech then we can write or post videos about anything. Their move might affect how people use the platforms but I think they are also keen on how to avoid long court cases that may arise when children use such platforms. Sometimes back children never had access to the Internet but lately everybody including children go online for their research. If we can write about anything then how do we make sure that children won't access our content? I also don't like the way people copy other people's videos on YouTube and upload them under their channel names. That has affected a lot of journalists and those who upload original content. YouTube must look into this.
  3. remnant

remnant Entrepreneur

Modern corporates are notorious for attempting to create monopolies by hook or crook. For example, they set aside huge budgets to undercut new companies in their market niches. Due to their big sizes and red tape, these behemoths have become distant to their customers. Their staff are detached and their customer care departments are unresponsive. Another anomaly is overreliance on paper qualifications at the the expense of talent and other competencies.
    setupdisc likes this.
  4. Healey4

Healey4 Entrepreneur

I think a company like Walmart has a chance to sink even lower in the markets. Their new CEO wants stores cleaner and more friendly, but these come at a cost- higher prices, or increased wages. Regarding the cleanliness: (I'm talking in the aisles, not bathrooms) while shoppers notice, they're not as concerned as a shopper at Wholefoods. They need to focus on having on-call employees that can get customers out the door instead of standing in line. When a customer is adding up costs, and it's time for them to give up their hard-earned cash is when they'll be the most irate and will be the most critical.

Couple in the fact that there are up-and-coming grocery stores offering the same thing- low prices for mid-quality items and I believe the company could be in real trouble.
    setupdisc likes this.
  5. Corazon

Corazon Entrepreneur

From what I know, Facebook has an age requirement of 18 years to qualify you for creating an account but obviously it is not being followed. With that Twitter ban, I don't think it is a platform for free speech but a platform for communications only.

We have in the Philippines one of the largest corporations that recently embarked a franchise for the morning bread. The pseudo bakery has been sprouting all over the country. Unfortunately, some outlets are losing hence they had closed. Now it seems that the franchise had stopped due to the failed business. I think they are lacking in market research.
    setupdisc likes this.
  6. setupdisc

setupdisc Moderator Entrepreneur

At the present time, Facebook's policy on account creation is 13 or older. They have to have parental permission to create one, but may be able to do so with or without it. For business pages, it may be 18 or older.

The pseudo bakery sounds like walmart in the US only for bread lol

Facebook has censored me more times than I care to comment on, and I have found that they are not a place for social networking, but a multinational online arrangement for thought control of the masses instead.

Facebook does not want freedom of expression or creative thought, but wants to tell and manipulate its users into believing they do, as long as they agree with what Facebook's agenda and its handlers or foreign financer agendas are.

Ever since they became a global meeting place, they have decided to control and tell people who they know in real life or are allowed to (!), who they can and cannot be friends with, whom they can do business with or not, and what items they can even speak about purchasing or selling - including in private messages - if they do not like the legal content in your country where you are discussing it privately. This is entirely unacceptable for any free being to have to worry about or subject themselves to on a private or a professional level.

Twitter is not as bad as Facebook on this, but there are certain areas and topics that I hear they are. I've never endured near the amount of censorship and blatant attempts to hide what I had to say to others on twitter as I experienced on facebook, nor have I on Youtube or anywhere else. However, on Youtube I have experienced numerous bogus copyright claims.

On Youtube, it is not about what you say or have to say (they are more lenient than Facebook or Twitter on this), but it's about the money. If they can jack your own original content and pretend that any portion of it belongs to someone else when it does not and never did, if they can "change their mind" on content that belonged to someone else but was OK because you made an artistic work from it, OR they can tie up your time with bogus copyright claims that are either automatically done by their system (or done manually by users wanting to steal revenue)...they will! And they do. Whichever of these that they decide to do with you, they give a malicious person (whether they are an unknown user or an employee of Youtube) what they are after to either temporarily/permanently close an account, have content that is good that belongs to you removed or withheld, or made you fall in rank for SEO/SERP and other areas by their actions to cost you revenue numerous ways.

Youtube's censorship will also appear out of the blue to get rid of your videos if it's content that they want to sell to make money. So for example, lets say you had an artistic rendition and compilation of scenes from a movie or TV series that many people liked and enjoyed your art and skill to edit and put together. You uploaded it on 2006, and everyone has liked it since (hundreds of thousands of users, with maybe only a few dislikes here or there). Ok. So 11 or 12 years later, Youtube decides that that artistic work of yours is now copyrighted, even though it's your own artistic work...because it comes up higher in the video search list results than their Youtube Red service they released to compete with Netflix. Reason: They would rather delete or get rid of your video and account, than have 4 or 5 people decide to see your video and the highlights of the show content you showcased in your own way than to lose $5 on people who might have done so otherwise. Now, if you had adsense or a content network, Youtube still made money off of this, maybe 50 cents to a dollar or so for a certain number of views. But why settle for that, when they can get rid of you after 12 years for just $5? To them, it's worth it to do that and lose you as a customer and any revenue you brought both...because they actually think that they control the people so much that they will use Youtube Red instead of Netflix if your content is no longer there to compete with them.

Ebay is like this also, to where you can't even sell things anymore without Ebay becoming your business partner, approving or disapproving of what you sell, siding with the buyer even if the buyer is a scammer who only bought an item with the intent to get it for free and rip off the seller, and controlling funds in either direction in such a way that they can decide who gets paid for their work, sales, and items that Ebay does not legally own...and who doesn't.

People who worry about having a police state...don't seem to see that we already have one.

It isn't what modern companies are doing right or wrong as much as it is that they are a front for enslaving people through their corruption of technology rather than empowering them.
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2016
  7. 111kg

111kg Entrepreneur

As an active member of the MMA community, I can tell you that Reebok is pissing off a lot of MMA fans, but also most of the UFC fighters, not to say that their MMA related merchandise is really bad and it doesn't even have a clever design.
    setupdisc likes this.
  8. Nikita

Nikita Entrepreneur

I just got back into UFC and MMA recently and after catching up with all that I missed I was a bit surprised at how much it has changed in just a year. I agree with you in that it is terrible for the fighters to get that much of a pay cut when compared to their previous sponsorship draws but in the long run it might be better for the sport to be unified in their uniform, supposedly, as that is what I'm hearing from the other side of the conversation since it is what the situation is for other sports, but unlike those sports the players in UFC aren't unionized which is an issue for a deal like this. I think it is a good move on Reebok to have gotten this deal, but they really should step up their game for a deal this huge because from what I've heard they have been making major mistakes left and right including misspelled fighter names and even leaving out a big part of Ireland in their T-shirt graphics for this past Connor fight.
  9. jona

jona Entrepreneur

The whole YouTube debacle is a giant joke, but you can't blame YouTube (or Google) for that matter, directly, blame the big movie studios and the RIAA that pushed for these draconian copyright laws to fight piracy, only to end up affecting actual legitimate users of their content while pirates live and continue to thrive happily.

The copyright claims are not made by YouTube but by a bunch of companies that solely exists to claim ownership of YouTube content so they can tab into the revenue generated by these videos until the matter is settled. That's right, you can claim that any YouTube video infringes you copyright and, until the uploader fights the claim you start collecting money from that video, if the uploader is able to claim fair use at the end, all that money is yours to keep with no penalty to you whatsoever for filling up basically a false claim. This is a completely broken system that encourages a lot of leeches to simply happily fill claim after claim against content creators. The only problem with YouTube is that they put this broken system in place.

The thing has become so out of hand that some kid filmed a video of himself using his cellphone talking about the snow on his front porch, using no music or movie clips, and the video was claimed by some obscure company.

Featured Businesses (View All)