EntrepreneurFix Is a Free Entrepreneur, Business and Start Up Forum

Connect With Other Entrepreneurs Online Today!
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

What Are Some Of Your Best Dishes You Can Cook Well?

Discussion in 'Food and Drink' started by Cleveland76, Oct 18, 2015.

1. Cleveland76

Cleveland76 Entrepreneur

They don't necessarily need to be anything fancy, it could be an entree item or it could be a simple side dish, or perhaps some fun desert. Those if you who enjoy cooking, what are some of your most lauded things you've made for yourself and others?

I'm a huge fan of all things potatoes, so I take great pride in making some killer mashed potatoes, whipped potatoes, au gratin potatoes, scalloped potatoes, and home fries in particular. I don't have a deep fryer, nor do I like using so much oil at home, so I don't make french fries though, aside from the occasional oven baked ones. I'm pretty minimalist when it comes to making these potato dishes as well - usually just 2% milk, real butter, sea salt and black pepper for the mashed potatoes. No gilding the lily with all kinds of extras such as sour cream, cream cheese and other stuff - it just turns them into a gluey mess. No shortcuts on the au gratin potatoes either, I make a bechamel sauce from scratch and layer it with sharp cheddar and romano. Bake it until it's super tender then broil it on to get some color on the cheese. Russet potatoes only, too. Others are either too waxy and or too sweet.

Any sort of quick chicken in a pan sauce with wine recipe, such as Chicken Marsala, Chicken Picatta and others, I enjoy making as well. These are popular dishes at restaurants but there are so easy to make at home and impress friends with too. Plus the pan sauce is a nice way to gussy up plain old chicken breasts. Though I sometimes also make them with the skin on (but still boneless) too.

2. EF-Roger

EF-Roger Entrepreneur

Chili from scratch. Very tasty. And I love to BBQ on a charcoal grill.
  3. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Entrepreneur

I have already tried making tuna onion omelette before, and I believe it tasted good. I was also able to cook carbonara. :)
  4. MandyMarieB

MandyMarieB Entrepreneur

I'm not a fancy cook by any means, and it's rare that I take the time to put a REAL meal together. That said, there are a few things I'll go out of my way to make. One being BBQ chicken encased in biscuit/bisquik. It's the most carbiest not-good-for-you chicken EVER, but man it's great.
  5. onepetitemiss

onepetitemiss Entrepreneur

My favorite dish, and one that my mother makes oh so well is zeppoles. Now I grew up in an Italian house hold so we make zeppoles from scratch. And it's not made like the ones at the carnivals. I make zeppoles with ricotta cheese, and flour, and vanilla extract. They are amazing and one of my favorite dishes. I just recently got the recipe from my mother and I can't wait to try them myself!
  6. pwarbi

pwarbi Entrepreneur

I'm an OK cook, but that's about as far as it goes for me, although in good at watmrming things up and ordering a take away!

One of the few dishes I can make from scratch is chilli-con-carne. Its easy to make and always goes down well so anytime anybody comes, they kind of know what they're going to get, that's the downside!
  7. Jade

Jade Entrepreneur

I make these things called cheese chips. It's well seasoned cheese wrapped in bacon and fried crispy. Very over whelming in seasoning but tastes incredible.
    bria1 likes this.
  8. swalia

swalia Entrepreneur

I am good at cooking some traditional Indian recipes like idli-sambhar, rajma , chole-bhature. My son loves the chowmein I cook for him, so I guess I am pretty good at making chowmein too.
  9. bria1

bria1 Entrepreneur

My favorite dish that I can cook very well would be baked macaroni and cheese. I have made this recipe so much it is second nature. My family loves this dish with almost everything. Very traditional comfort food. I usually use two to three different cheese's in my recipe..that may be the difference.
  10. Bonyi

Bonyi Entrepreneur

I love cooking. That's makes me observant in the meals I take when I go out and later try out that dish. I make different soups. One of them is sweet corn and chicken soup that goes with fresh bread rolls with butter or cheese.
  11. djentre

djentre Entrepreneur

Well, I make great pancakes. And I can make a great risotto. What else? Umm... I make an awesome tomato soup. I add a bit of salted butter on top of it along with cream, and people tell me it just makes their heart melt :)
  12. swalia

swalia Entrepreneur

I am good at making idli-sambhar. I am also good at making desserts like halwa, kheer, gajrela and pudding. Another dish which I cook well is chole-bhature.
  13. Andorphin

Andorphin Entrepreneur

I don't know many dishes as I am a beginner in the kitchen but I still know how to make some. I think one of the best dishes is to take some grilled vegetables, put them in a frying pan and add an egg. It's delicious.
  14. rz3300

rz3300 Entrepreneur

Well I don't mean to brad, but I do make a pretty mean lasagna. The secret, well it has to be an abundance of ricotta cheese. The more ricotta cheese, the better the lasagna, pure and simple. Of course there are some other little tricks, like leaving out mushrooms - too mushy - and using the right noodles, and over the years I have just come to perfect it the way that I like it.
  15. bria1

bria1 Entrepreneur

Sounds incredible and I would like to try this sometime. I try to stay away from fried dishes but I love fried cheese....so decadent and delicious. Thanks for this tip.
  16. Ladyferoz

Ladyferoz Entrepreneur

I learned this from my boyfriend.
    Delicious coca cola chicken wings
    I do not really use measurements, I always eyeball it. I normally cook a dozen chicken drumsticks or 24 chicken wings.
    • Chicken wings/drumsticks
    • 1 can of coca cola
    • Half a cup of soy sauce
    • Garlic powder
    • Salt and pepper
    • Oil
    1. Season the chicken, and brown it in the pan. Put aside
    2. Pour soy sauce, and coca cola in pan, let it simmer for a few minutes, add the chicken
    3. Wait for the sauce to become sticky
    You can add ketchup to the mix.
    Here is a picture, sorry about the looks, it was in a dorm [​IMG][/url][/IMG] [​IMG]
    remnant and bria1 like this.
  17. bria1

bria1 Entrepreneur

This sounds like my kind of wing recipe. Coca cola is a very interesting addition...and I think I have heard this being added to a wing recipe before. It must give it a crisper type of wing..maybe not sure. Why is the Coca-cola added...just curious.
    Ladyferoz likes this.
  18. Ladyferoz

Ladyferoz Entrepreneur

It is a Chinese recipe my boyfriend told me. It tastes delicious, and I love sticky wings. The coca cola makes it saucy and tenderises the meat, plus the wings look delicious with the dark brown colour.
  19. T J Tutor

T J Tutor Administrator Entrepreneur

Shrimp and Crabmeat Crepes w/ Careme Bechamel White Wine Sauce & Roasted Asparagus w/ Pine Nuts

Veal Cordon Bleu w/ Red Veloute Cremini Sauce & Roasted Baby Artichokes
  20. Ladyferoz

Ladyferoz Entrepreneur

I am impressed, if you cook that home then there is no need to go to restaurants. Can you please give me the recipe for your white wine sauce? It sounds delicious and I think I might use it either for pasta or chicken.
    T J Tutor likes this.

Featured Businesses (View All)