EntrepreneurFix Is a Free Entrepreneur, Business and Start Up Forum

Connect With Other Entrepreneurs Online Today!
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Website start-ups

Discussion in 'Financing Your Startup' started by Isaac Kieffer, May 19, 2016.

1. Isaac Kieffer

Isaac Kieffer Entrepreneur

I have been pondering the idea of a new start up that would be an online business. I have zero experience in creating websites and programming etc.. I was wondering what the best options to go with to get started.

I have the option (which is affordable for me) to hire a freelancer and start relatively soon.
    Or, hire a firm which would take me a few months of saving to start later in the year. Or simply learn to create the website myself.

If I had to guess on my hourly wage now it would be about 20$/h. So would it be worth it time wise to make it myself, considering all I would have to learn. Also what kind of quality can you get from freelancers and contractors who say they'll do this idea for 2-3k$?

The website I need would be pretty in-depth. Accounts for customers, lots of links and information of the accounts, blogging, services, and a tricky home page. I can imagine it pretty well and have written it down on paper myself. Thinking about creating it on a website like WIX to give the programmer an idea of what I want.

Also if I went with hiring someone, what kind of work could I do myself to bring down the cost?

Thank you!

2. bob1978

bob1978 Entrepreneur

The answer is, it depends. You can choose to build it yourself, but you're definitely going to devote the better part of at least a year learning how to code, and creating your project. If you have absolutely no experience with programming or HTML/CSS, or graphics, then it will likely take longer. Quality wise, it might not be up to standard compared to what someone with experience and skill could do. So if you're planning on upgrading the site, or do any kind of regular updates, you have the choice of learning proper development standards (which will take additional time), or you could hire a professional to do it right from the start. If you skip this part, and decide to mash the code into something that sortof works, any future programmer seeing your code will likely tell you it needs to be completely re-written.

Depends heavily on what functions and features the site is going to have. If it's fairly straightforward (not based on your opinion, but based on a professional's opinion), then that could be worth it. But based on what you mentioned, it sounds like it could cost multiples more. Anyone offering you less, is going to take you for a ride - either giving you a subpar site, or screwing you out of more money. If you want to hire someone, hire a professional, someone preferably local, and pay decently. That's the only way to get what you want. Yes, there are lots of experienced and skilled programmers from the Indian sub-continent that will accept your budget. But in my experience, you get what you pay for (yes, really). If you wish to take that route, best of luck.

Most of the work will actually be on the front-end. Polishing takes lots of time getting it right, sometimes far more than the actual backend. So if you want to bring the costs down significantly, learn HTML/CSS/jQuery. Learn also how to create the design.
    Isaac Kieffer likes this.
  3. VirtualGlobalPhone

VirtualGlobalPhone Moderator Entrepreneur

@Isaac Kieffer , Do you know that you are trying to jump from Mount Everest and expecting some one to train on the way in air to save yourself :).

Jokes apart ... their are many Successful entrepreneurs have said , don't start a business if you don't know your own role. If you are not able to bring USP then work for someone else or don't leave the present job.
    Isaac Kieffer likes this.
  4. Amir Campbell

Amir Campbell Entrepreneur

I say that the best bet for you is to start off lean, devoting as much of your money as possible to product development. There are loads of free website building websites out there for you to research and use. When business begins to pick up and you get yourself some financial breating room, you can look into upgrading your website, payign for advertising etc.

The main action step is to start where you are and increase from there.

Hope this helps!

Amir Campbell

Featured Businesses (View All)