EntrepreneurFix Is a Free Entrepreneur, Business and Start Up Forum

Connect With Other Entrepreneurs Online Today!
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Unusual perks from small business?

Discussion in 'Points, Perks and Clubs' started by Lynda, Mar 20, 2016.

1. Lynda

Lynda Entrepreneur

There are a lot of advantages to running a small business, and if you've ever done a convention, you'll know about the amount of convention 'swag' you can walk away with, and that a lot of it is pens. But are there any unusual items you've received in the course of business?

For me, one of the companies that supplies us with logo and embossed items regularly includes one or two samples of things like logo-bearing USB drives, etc. These are always really popular and very useful. The Viking catalogue's freebies included a golf umbrella, which came with a small order of ink cartridges. We thought there was something wrong with the order until we opened the huge box to find a much smaller box and a huge umbrella inside!

So what sort of things do you get that turn out to be useful, or just unexpected?

2. acheno84

acheno84 Entrepreneur

I like receiving USB drives because with the different logos that we do get, I can keep my files organized separately. I have a log that has a list of the different "brands" of USB's that I've received from wholesalers trying to get me to buy from them. Each USB contains a different piece of my business, whether that is the plan itself, sales, pictures, inventory, etc. I have received things like golf balls and boxes of paper clips, but nothing too strange.
  3. briannagodess

briannagodess Entrepreneur

Well, my mom's office suppliers always have some gifts for her. Usually companies give her mugs with their logos and her name on it. So that's great since we could always use a coffee mug, lol. Then other times it's a calendar which can be also useful especially if you're into scheduling. Then I could also remember a company giving her notebooks which are very handy as well. Usually the notebooks have built-in calendars as well. Lastly, the umbrellas which are also useful. Lol!
  4. jona

jona Entrepreneur

My friend, I've been to conventions both as staff inside a booth and as a regular guy attending the thing, you can't possibly imagine how funny it is to see grown up men going around booth to booth just to see if they can score a pen, a t-shirt. desktop toys or some other gizmo. I am sure there is a small percentage of people that only go to conventions to see if they can get some stickers or a coffee mug, people really go crazy for this free stuff and the people inside the booths hate it since you know that these persons that are taking your pens are never going to become your customers or clients.
  5. azgold

azgold Moderator Entrepreneur

I've worked in the promotional products industry for 29 years and I've received a ton! of stuff, both from trade shows and individual reps. Everything from clothing to hand massagers. I think the most surprising thing I got was a pair of American Apparel bikini underwear.
  6. T J Tutor

T J Tutor Administrator Entrepreneur

When I was in the computer industry in the eighties and the software industry in the nineties, the gifts were incredible and abundant. Fine dining, entertainment, trips, etc. I don't recall getting anything unusual.

Featured Businesses (View All)