EntrepreneurFix Is a Free Entrepreneur, Business and Start Up Forum

Connect With Other Entrepreneurs Online Today!
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Tips: If You're Looking For a Copywriter / the Difference Between a Copywriter and an Article Writer

Discussion in 'Online and Internet Marketing' started by William Clements, Jan 14, 2016.

1. William Clements

William Clements Moderator Business Owner Entrepreneur

This section is intended for discussion about copywriting which is the writing of sales copy that gets people to take action (i.e. opt-in, buy, call your office, etc.).

Article Writing: The Staple

Think of this as the staple food of the Internet. Something you'd just need to get by. Article writing consists of bring out well-researched, well-written and compact content on a particular niche. Attractive headlines(titles), engaging body and an untuitive or insighful conclusion usually makes for a great article. Article writing is probably closer to what your friend does for that magazine she writes for.

Copy writing: The Hardworking, sales guy

One of the elite forms of writing which slaps in a bit of consumer behavior, marketing principles, human behavior and psychology and is all written with just one purpose: to get your readers to do something. That 'something' could include signing-up for your website; opting-in for your newsletter; selling a product or service; give you a call; take you out for a date( yeah,this too!).

Copywriting is all about convincing others to do what you want them to do. This is highly paid and takes considerable skill to get to. Of course, you can learn this just as you can learn anything else.

Lately I've seen a lot of people posting threads asking for a copywriter in different forums.

Nothing wrong with that.

What the problem is is no one seems to be willing to go into any detail at all.

Here's the thing... successful copywriters already have a backlog of clients. They position themselves so that clients come to THEM - not the other way around.

That's not to say they won't send you a quick message... but they'll only do it if you give them some basic info. If you don't provide the basics, you'll get a heap of low-talent writers who are desperate for work because (surprise surprise) they are unable to market themselves... and if they can't market themselves, most likely they won't be able to help you.

So if you are looking for a copywriter and want to post a thread, include this info:

*Your budget (be aware that your chances of getting a decent writer for under $1 000 are about as good as winning the lottery, and your chances of getting a decent writer under $2 000 are slim at best. You get what you pay for, after all).

*Your niche (I can appreciate you may not want to "give away" your product on an open forum filled with marketers... but a general statement is a good start. E.g. "weight loss", "bodybuilding", "internet marketing").

*What the project IS (sales page, squeeze page, autoresponder emails etc)

*Your deadline that you need the copy by (even a general idea is handy)

This will help you in several ways:

*You'll actually get decent writers sending you messages (assuming you don't try to offer a dirt cheap price)

*You will have less enquiries from skilled copywriters who wouldn't be able to do your project anyway

*You'll ensure you get a writer who is passionate about your topic (important)

If you follow these guidelines, you'll not only make this board a better place for everyone, but also help yourself out.

2. Vinaya.Ghimire

Vinaya.Ghimire Entrepreneur

You have highlighted the difference very well. Article is a long piece of work about anything which can range from 200 words to 2000 words, or more. A Copy is a written text that aims to promote a product, in other words a copy is a written advertisement. I studied copywriting in my writing class but I have not written a copy except in my dissertation.
    William Clements likes this.
  3. azgold

azgold Moderator Entrepreneur

I know that many people use the words interchangeably, both clients and freelancers. Basically, I think it's because they're not sure of the difference. And if a freelancer merely flies under the umbrella of "writer," clients who don't understand category distinctions will ask for a sales letter....for the price of an article. Ah yes, I remember those days well. :)

Great explanation, @William Clements - thanks!
    ctfranklin28 likes this.
  4. ctfranklin28

ctfranklin28 Entrepreneur

It took me a while to realize this as a freelancer. Contributing to the confusion is the use of "blog" and "article" thrown around with no distinction. There is a BIG difference between an article and a blog post. There is also a BIG difference between an article written for SEO purposes ("Fifty Ways to Lose Weight in 2 Days") and one written with substance. This doesn't mean that SEO and other Internet articles are bad. They have a purpose, but the purpose is not to provide a well-researched work of journalistic art.

Writers and their employers should know and respect the difference.
  5. azgold

azgold Moderator Entrepreneur

Back in the day (4 years ago and before that), a blog post was 300ish words; articles were 500 (or more). Few marketers cared about tone, etc. as long as they read well.

Print articles, well that was different.

I've been out of it for a while, not sure what the standard is these days.
  6. davidper

davidper Entrepreneur

good information, I now also the copywriter :)

Featured Businesses (View All)