EntrepreneurFix Is a Free Entrepreneur, Business and Start Up Forum

Connect With Other Entrepreneurs Online Today!
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

This new fast food restaurant is run entirely by machines

Discussion in 'Food and Drink' started by EF-Roger, Aug 31, 2015.

1. EF-Roger

EF-Roger Entrepreneur

2. harpazo22

harpazo22 Entrepreneur

Well that's interesting! I think it'd be more convenient for customers, at least that's what it sounds like. But it's also putting people out of jobs.
  3. Amy

Amy Entrepreneur

This is what the whole "Fight for 15" is causing. Fast food places are raising their wages, but then they lay off workers. They recently showed a McDonalds on the news which gave in to the demand to give workers a raise. They then installed kiosks for customers to order at and cut back employee's hours. WalMart also raised wages recently...and suspiciously closed two stores due to 'plumbing problems'.
  4. FuturedHosting.com

FuturedHosting.com Entrepreneur

Wow, that's awesome! I wonder how do they do that! :|
  5. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Entrepreneur

I have mixed emotions towards this news. I know it's a great innovation in technology, but being served by a machine? I couldn't quite fathom the idea.
  6. nailah783

nailah783 Entrepreneur

That's what is going to happen to all the fast food chains if they do raise the minimum wage. Everybody forgets that if they raise minimum wage everything else will have to go up too, and some companies may not be able to afford to pay for their employees wages, so they will get rid of their employees and hire the machines that they will only have to keep up with the upkeep and maintenance of them. Be careful what you ask for.
  7. Cleveland76

Cleveland76 Entrepreneur

I'm glad that the article mentioned that such machine type service has existed in the past, many decades ago. No, I don't think such a restaurant would be a "job killer". There are both good and bad things about this business model, imo.

I'll get the $15 minimum wage thing out of the way first though. The sooner we force companies to start paying fair wages to all their employees, and the sooner everyone working 40 hours a week can at least afford the bare necessities, and keep a roof over their head, and transportation to get around, the better off we all will be. It's shameful for companies which are experiencing record breaking profits to act entitled to cheap, poverty level wages, and tell their employees to go get government assistance because they don't want to pay them proper wages themselves. These companies are the real "welfare queens". The CEO of Papa Johns for example literally lives in a freaking castle - give me a break he can't afford to take a little less from all his franchise owners and demand they pay their employees better wages and offer their full time employees benefits instead. I'm not proposing fast food workers be rolling around in luxury cars and living in McMansions, but they shouldn't be standing in line at the food banks, or having to rely on SNAP to keep a paltry amount of food at home if they are working 40 hours a week. And let's not forget, even McDonald's recently *voluntarily* started raising it's employees wages, not to $15 (more like a minimum of $10/hr), but it's better than nothing for now. So yes, they have had the capacity to raise those wages for quite some time now, but just never did.

I like the idea of automating the ordering process a lot. It only makes sense, since more people are paying with credit/debit cards these days anyhow, and touch screens are far more advanced as well. I think it will speed things up a lot more, especially when dealing with insufferably picky customers who want to tie up the line asking 100's of questions, nit picking about everything, and wanting to reinvent the menu with all sorts of special requests. Forcing them to just pick a damn thing on the screen and pay and move along would be a blessing. They can't whine to management that so and so employee was rude to them and what not. There's no excuse for them taking forever to place an order any more. In fact, they could just as likely pull over and take their time placing the order via their smartphone, then just get in line to pick it up.

If they speed up the ordering process, and keep their lines moving along more efficiently, then they could potentially be doing much more business. They could also save money by reducing order errors, and deterring employees from stealing from the registers or giving the wrong change. Without the need for people to be working the registers, they can have more people working the kitchen properly, instead of trying to get by on a skeleton crew back there because they need to pay people to work the front of the house too.

Plus there will be new jobs forming for people to install and service and repair all these automated ordering machines. In fact, it has yet to be seen if the overall total cost of investing in these point of sale systems, plus their average maintenance costs, as well as the costs to keep replacing the equipment with newer equipment every few years, as well as all the licensing and other costs that come along with it, are truly cheaper than a staff of cashiers or not. They may not be, in the long run.

Featured Businesses (View All)