EntrepreneurFix Is a Free Entrepreneur, Business and Start Up Forum

Connect With Other Entrepreneurs Online Today!
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

This German grocery chain has been called the world's best — and it's cheaper than Walmart

Discussion in 'Food and Drink' started by EF-Roger, Nov 30, 2015.

1. EF-Roger

EF-Roger Entrepreneur

Aldi has been called the world's best grocery chain.

The German company has more than 8,000 stores around the world and is rapidly expanding.

One reason people love Aldi?

The brand's famously low prices.

Groceries at Aldi are "shockingly cheaper" than those at Walmart, according to a study by Cheapism. They're also cheaper than those at industry darling Trader Joe's.

Aldi employs a few smart strategies to sell groceries for so cheap.

Read more This German grocery chain has been called the world's best — and it's cheaper than Walmart or Trader Joe's

2. Cleveland76

Cleveland76 Entrepreneur

Aldi actually owns Trader Joe's - they bought them out years ago. It's kind of funny when hearing some people say how they love one vs. the other, because in some ways they are pretty similar - small size, limited selection, lots of proprietary branded stuff. I would even suspect that some of the products are made by the exact same manufacturers and just packaged in different branding. In fact I know that some of the products sold at Aldi are made by big brand manufacturers who rebrand the items under generic names to be sold at Aldi for much less. Hey, if I don't have to bother with coupons and sales, and can get every day low prices, I can care less what the product is packaged as.

Both stores also pay their employees pretty decent wages. In fact I read an article a while back which explained that Trader Joes actually adjusts its wages for the cost of living in each of the areas it's located, which makes sense. I feel better supporting places that pay their employees fairer wages, as opposed to places like Wal-Mart where many of it's full time employees struggle to make ends meet, and have to rely on supplemental government assistance. A company as big as Wal-Mart can easily pay their employees proper wages, instead of forcing it's workers to rely on taxpayer assistance, while they pocket record breaking profits.

Featured Businesses (View All)