EntrepreneurFix Is a Free Entrepreneur, Business and Start Up Forum

Connect With Other Entrepreneurs Online Today!
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Starting a Company Under A Different Name Than LLC

Discussion in 'Legal Advice and Help' started by Francis K, Dec 8, 2015.

1. Francis K

Francis K Entrepreneur

Hey everybody. New to EntrepreneurFix and thought I would give a first post a shot. I started my LLC during a time of uncertainty where the name (and purpose) of my business idea was as loose as a monkey on ecstacy. Months later after lots of idea validation, I'm just about ready to launch my business but the name is different than my legally registered LLC. Is this a problem? Do I have to create a new LLC? Google Search leads me to a term called Ficticious Business Name but I could not find too much info on this. Has anyone had a similar situation?

2. William Clements

William Clements Moderator Business Owner Entrepreneur

You can either contact the third-party or government agency to see about changing it to what you want the LLC to be changed to. You can also register the name of the business as a trade name and run it under your LLC. I do here that you can also add it as a sub business under your LLC. I am not sure if it is true, how to go about it or what not, though.

Good Luck!
    Francis K likes this.
  3. Rodney

Rodney Entrepreneur

I don't think you'd need to change the name of the LLC, you'd just be 'doing business as'. I think you can call your business whatever you want, but officially it would be XYZ LLC DBA ____. I'd suggest you look into that. If you used a lawyer to set up the LLC give him or her a call.

Featured Businesses (View All)