EntrepreneurFix Is a Free Entrepreneur, Business and Start Up Forum

Connect With Other Entrepreneurs Online Today!
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

'Star Wars' versus 'Star Trek': why can’t fans just get along?

Discussion in 'Arts and Entertainment' started by EF-Roger, Dec 3, 2015.

1. EF-Roger

EF-Roger Entrepreneur

“May the Force be with you” vs. “Live Long and Prosper,” lightsabers vs. phasers, warp drive vs. hyperdrive. The fan debate over which story, technology, space ships and characters are superior started a long time ago.

To casual moviegoers, there is not much difference between “Star Trek,” the sci-fi franchise that launched on television in 1966, and "Star Wars,” which debuted on movie screens in 1977. Yet to hard-core fans the differences are as significant as those between tribbles and droids.

“Star Trek” fans think “Trek” is better because it portrays a complex, science-based technological future where diverse species unite for the betterment of all. “Star Wars,” many believe, is a simple adventure with ray-guns and walking carpets, the good guy wears white, the bad guy wears black, and there’s a magic “Force.”

Read more at Reutershttp://www.reuters.com/article/2015/12/03/us-film-starwars-startrek-idUSKBN0TL1BV20151203#A7P2AFpAozdiQaLa.99
    Megabob3 likes this.

2. Megabob3

Megabob3 Entrepreneur

Star Trek for ever!
  3. arthnel

arthnel Entrepreneur

While Star Trek seems the more realistic of the two with all the role play science has in it to shore up all those possibilities presented, Star Wars just packs a lot more action and adventure which tip the scales in its favor. Star Wars has that Good vs. Evil edge that sticks to your bones. Who could forget Darth Vader dressed supremely in black with that commanding voice and presence as he wielded 'The Force'? Everyone to own a light saber too. Just the sound it makes gives you thrills.This dominance was there long before the new episodes even came about.
  4. Apolloniac

Apolloniac Entrepreneur

I find that Star Trek is much more intelligent than Star Wars and it explores various themes in philosophy and psychology as well as technology and science. Star Wars on the other hand is a much more mainstream cosmic adventure film that plays on cinematic tropes, Shakesperean drama and much more based on classic literature than sci-fi. Both have their pros and cons and I appreciate the franchises as they are.
    arthnel likes this.
  5. arthnel

arthnel Entrepreneur

I have to agree with you @Apolloniac. Star Trek does sound more intelligent with philosophy and psychology being featured more widely. Star Wars is about adventure, just like Star trek, but it's more about the drama and action. I find Star Wars to be the one that leaves you with more memories and real connection to shows though. The story-lines are incredible and each character just ties in so well into the bigger picture. You can watch Star Trek and leave thinking, 'okay that was a good movie.' But when you watch Star Wars you leave thinking that was great and you want to take a piece of that movie with you for the memories.
  6. Griffin

Griffin Entrepreneur

I have always loved Star Wars more than Star Trek. The plot is, in my opinion, much more engaging with Star Wars. Lots of family back story, and lots of rich character development. It all contributes to what is a fantastic adventure film.

Featured Businesses (View All)