EntrepreneurFix Is a Free Entrepreneur, Business and Start Up Forum

Connect With Other Entrepreneurs Online Today!
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Speak in Public Gatherings

Discussion in 'Mindset and Motivation' started by rikshaw, Jan 25, 2016.

1. rikshaw

rikshaw Entrepreneur

For an entrepreneur speak in public or motivate the employees is must. Since i am running a newly established business i need to talk in front of a seminar or motivate my employees. Can anyone help me how can i overcome my inertia. Any suggestion could help me a lot. "I often watch Tedtalks".

2. briannagodess

briannagodess Entrepreneur

I suggest practice speaking in private, practice your speech and practice on how to make it appear as natural as possible. On the other hand, if you are aiming to speak without a prepared speech, then you still need to practice on how to speak in front of other people. Try performing for your family or friends, see what they think of your speech.

Have a guideline in an index card of your skeleton of the speech. Just some headers or topics you want to delve into when you talk to your employees. This way, you won't run out of things to say.

Find some quotes or even jokes online that can lighten the mood. Even a funny anecdote can help in lightening the mood.

Good luck!
    setupdisc likes this.
  3. Tyler Bell|MYB Revolution

Tyler Bell|MYB Revolution Entrepreneur

When I'm looking for tips on how to be better at public speaking I turn to Derek Halpern for tip. He started out not being good at public speaking but he overcame this by trail and error with constant practicing, (he now charges $20,000 per keynote speech) he also read books and watched videos to help him learn how to speak better, in fact he wrote an article about it here: Become A Better Speaker along with some helpful tips to improve your public speaking. But he also credits one guy for his speaking success, Michael Port, and he says his new book Steal the Show has a complication of all the tips he would use to guide him in his speeches were he to start over again.
    Robert Squires and setupdisc like this.
  4. setupdisc

setupdisc Moderator Entrepreneur

There may be some local public speaking groups that you can attend to where people demonstrate and practice speaking on a variety of topics. If you can find one through a site like MeetUp, Facebook, or another one like it where they connect people and local events, then you could get some great hands-on time and mentorship for public speaking from any number of them that you attend and participate in.

Public speaking is a succeed-by-doing activity, so to really be good at it you will want to speak publicly! :) The best way to overcome any fear or reservations about speaking is to be in the company of others who feel the same way but are willing to try their best to overcome it. The better you do, they better they do, too.

If I were to look at improving public speaking, I would try that first. If you find someone who offers mentorship or helps teach public speaking for business, that would also be a very good idea to consider.
    T J Tutor and Nancy like this.
  5. rz3300

rz3300 Entrepreneur

I would say that the best advice I could give would be to practice, and then practice some more. Watching others do it is a good way to get started, so watching the TedTalks will certainly help, but doing it yourself a couple of times will really help you find your own style. You cannot imitate others when it comes to speaking in front of others, you have to be yourself, but you have to be the best version of yourself too.
    setupdisc likes this.
  6. Jack Benoit

Jack Benoit Entrepreneur

Whеn it соmеs tо publiс spеаking, thеrе аrе а lоt оf fасtоrs thаt аrе соnsidеrеd tо bе rоаdblосks аlоng thе wаy оr things thаt wе саn’t sееm tо оvеrсоmе. Publiс spеаking соnсеrns саn rаngе frоm а gеnеrаlizеd wоrry оvеr nоt bеing prеpаrеd tо bеing dоwnright tеrrifiеd bеfоrе stеpping оn stаgе. If yоu’rе lооking tо оvеrсоmе yоur fеаr аnd find sоmе usеful tips tо оvеrсоming yоur fеаr, tаkе а; lооk аt thе соllесtiоn оf tips bеlоw tо mаkе yоur nеxt (оr first) publiс еxpеriеnсе а grеаt оnе.Thе fеаr оf publiс spеаking is widеly rесоgnizеd аs thе numbеr оnе fеаr fоr mоst pеоplе. Yеt, thеrе is littlе dоubt thаt оnе hаs tо оftеn аddrеss publiс gаthеrings in vаriоus fоrmаl аnd infоrmаl situаtiоns. Wеddings, funеrаls, dinnеrs аnd thе wоrkplасе аrе just sоmе оf thе plасеs whеrе оnе might hаvе tо mаkе а spеесh оr dеlivеr а prеsеntаtiоn. Оvеrсоming thе fеаr оf publiс spеаking оr spеесh аnxiеty mаy nоt bе еаsy fоr mаny. Hеrе аrе sоmе usеful rеsоurсеs tо hеlp mаnаgе spеесh аnxiеty, prеpаrе а spеесh аnd dеlivеr it with stylе аnd соnfidеnсе
    setupdisc likes this.
  7. Nancy

Nancy Entrepreneur

Toastmasters International -Home They have public speaking groups all over the US. You can search for a local group on their website. It is a wonderful organization to be a part of. It really makes a difference to practice and get feedback from others on you public speaking! It is a lot of fun too and you make new friends and business contacts by being a member.
    setupdisc likes this.
  8. setupdisc

setupdisc Moderator Entrepreneur

Toastmasters really is a great reference and group for speaking of all ranges in the US. I had checked them out years ago upon a reference from some friends in business, and it lived up to everything they said and then some. Thanks for the link, Nancy! That is a good public speaking resource! :)
  9. T J Tutor

T J Tutor Administrator Entrepreneur

This is absolutely the only way to truly get it done!

I've been involved in the public eye since I was very young. Speaking to a group has always been easy for me. Making sure you are ready for official presentations is a must as well. However, there are always the chance opportunities for unscheduled and/or impromptu moments that require us to be ready to step up and speak. Learning to deal with both the scheduled opportunities as well as the impromptu moments is important.

For those that need to develop this skill, if you surrender to it in the moment, you are halfway there to delivering a good message!

Dale Carnegie
    Napoleon Hill Foundation

All have good programs, though I am partial to Dale Carnegie's course.
    setupdisc likes this.
  10. azgold

azgold Moderator Entrepreneur

I've known a couple of people who did Toastmasters and the results were impressive.

Public speaking already came easy to one but it helped him polish his presenting skills; the other was a painfully shy woman who completely gained confidence and came out of her shell.
    setupdisc and T J Tutor like this.
  11. Spirit

Spirit Entrepreneur

Practice in private, practice in public, practice in your mind, etc etc etc. It's exactly what you need to do. It's the nature of improving such a skill. Try out Toastmasters. It can be daunting at first, and I've been a few times, but the results do show up if you put the effort in.

I'm not the best but I know when I'm in the zone I'm ok with it. At the end of the day, there are millions of people out there that are going to be far more scared than you in doing it.
    setupdisc likes this.
  12. remnant

remnant Entrepreneur

I used to face the same challenges in public speaking but a stint in the teaching profession opened up my public speaking faculties. It gets better with practice so that you can develop your own coping mechanisms. You should speak to the public as if you are speaking to yourself and listen to your choice of words. This will distract you from stage fright and enable you to be be in touch with what you are delivering. Another thing is not to look at people individually or directly into their eyes. You should look at the top of their heads. Have a small guide note on the topic you are to present.
    setupdisc likes this.
  13. VirtualGlobalPhone

VirtualGlobalPhone Moderator Entrepreneur

Public speaking or small gathering speaking on any subject will be nerve racking if its a Half Knowledge with low in confidence. But if you have got the mastery in that subject this will be a cake walk. Choose when to go on Dias.

Normal tendency is that we focus on what to talk and how people is going to react rather than the subject itself. So take yourself out of the equation and put the whole concentration on the subject.

The secret of speaking is 95% listening or reading and 5% saying.
    setupdisc likes this.
  14. pwarbi

pwarbi Entrepreneur

Public speaking isn't one of my strong points, and I have to admit that it did take me a while to get used to it. As others have said though, the only way to get better is to just do it.

Practice makes perfect or so they say. In fact, I always found that public speaking doesn't have to be perfect at all, and works better if it isn't. Making mistakes is only human, and people connect with human people, and that's what public speaking is all about, communication.
    azgold and setupdisc like this.
  15. Sandile

Sandile Entrepreneur

Read, read books a lot. That is a life of an entrepreneur, wait a minute how does this relate to public speaking? People who read more often become more informed, so as you speak you do not want to get all the good strategies of public speaking and not know what to say. If you read you gain confidence about the knowledge you possess, often bold people with information automatically become bold in sharing what they know. It will increase your wisdom, READ!
    azgold and T J Tutor like this.
  16. Hostissimus

Hostissimus Entrepreneur

Tedtalksis a good source to learn the basic.Of course you will be better day by day. You can check the following website to learn more about it: lifehack.org/articles/productivity/exclusively-for-introverts-10-powerful-tips-improve-your-public-speaking-skills.html
    azgold likes this.
  17. Robert Squires

Robert Squires Entrepreneur

As a speaker myself, it helps if I am passionate about what I am speaking about if you want a team behind you, you need to let them know that you have their backs!
    azgold likes this.

Featured Businesses (View All)