EntrepreneurFix Is a Free Entrepreneur, Business and Start Up Forum

Connect With Other Entrepreneurs Online Today!
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Discussion in 'General Business and Entrepreneurship' started by Healey4, Feb 24, 2016.

1. Healey4

Healey4 Entrepreneur

Does everyone here feel like Sharktank truly represents investor's viewpoints? I know it's a tv show- and there's not going to be a panel of millionaires willing to invest when you walk into a meeting... but I was just wondering if there's anything to take away from the TV show? Do users here believe that their criticisms and projections are in line with what other investors would be saying?

2. T J Tutor

T J Tutor Administrator Entrepreneur

It's a made for TV scripted fun. This isn't how it goes down. No one ever meets and has a deal in a few minutes.
  3. rz3300

rz3300 Entrepreneur

I have always really liked Shark Tank as a show. I am not a big reality television person, but I do think that it does appeal to the entrepreneur in us all. In terms of relating to actual investing decisions, I am sure it is a little dramaticized and all of that, but that is to be expected I would think.
  4. onlinecashcity

onlinecashcity Entrepreneur

After you watch a while you can tell it's scripted. One episode somebody will mention how low sales aren't a good thing and they never like it. Then somebody will have no sales but a good idea and somebody will get hooked. And they always manage to ask a question that changes the script of the show. They rarely ask how much debt people are in from their product, then the one time there is HUGE interest in the idea, they somehow manage to ask that and then the answer the investee gives creates havoc.

They pick and choose the questions that add to drama and overall I'm sure this isn't at all how things would work with any sort of investment.
  5. arthnel

arthnel Entrepreneur

I like watching the show too but I also think it's just made for TV dramatization. I've seen some extremely great business ideas seemingly go bust for some quirky reason and I found myself imagining a backdoor, off the air deal going on as these guys would be crazy not to want to be part of such a start up.
  6. Cleveland76

Cleveland76 Entrepreneur

I really have a hard time believing the show is 100% legit in how it is presented on TV, but obviously to some extent many of these products do in fact hit the market after being seen on the show. There are some deals though which fall through after the show was shot, and don't make it to market. I just get so frustrated with how inconsistent they are with critiquing some of the product proposals on the show. There are some people presenting perfectly viable products, and they rip them to shreds over the tiniest little things, yet they greenlight other products that are absolutely stupid and pointless.

One of the dumbest products I saw get an investment was the Rapid Ramen. It's literally just a plain stupid plastic box. There is absolutely no need for it, it does nothing to cook Ramen Noodles better than any other plastic storage container you already have in your house would do. Yet the guy that "invented" it got an investment and it went to market and is currently being sold. Why didn't any of them skewer him for presenting something so incredibly stupid like that and wasting everyone's time?

Another dumb product was a magnetic button you clip on your shirt to hold your sunglasses - really? Who would pay for something as stupid as this? You could go buy a cheap magnet at the store and make one yourself for a small fraction of the cost they were selling them for.
  7. Slique

Slique Entrepreneur

I sometimes watch this show and I know it is television which means there probably will be scripted moments but as an aspiring entrepreneur, they give me an idea of what that type of business encounter would be like. The show gives you several aspects to think about when starting up or revamping a business. From what I've watched, the panelists give their honest enough opinions on what they're presented with. At times, some are harsh but maybe that will help the entrepreneurs in the long run to stand their ground or fix what needs fixing. On the other hand though, I don't typically think that deals are made that quickly in reality and further discussions have to be made before finalizing contracts and so on but that's TV for you. What I love most are the innovations people bring to the table. Overall, a good watch for me.

Featured Businesses (View All)