EntrepreneurFix Is a Free Entrepreneur, Business and Start Up Forum

Connect With Other Entrepreneurs Online Today!
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Selling Songs

Discussion in 'General Business and Entrepreneurship' started by Nikita, Mar 30, 2016.

1. Nikita

Nikita Entrepreneur

I have been making songs for the past few months and I plan on selling it online once I make enough. I know that I could advertise it on certain sites and just link it to another site where they can get paid downloads, but I wonder what might be the best way to go about it considering that with just the first sale my songs could possibly be free on the pirating market which of course would mean that there's not much reason to pay for it anymore. I'm not complaining as I realize that this type of system has both advantages and disadvantages not only for the music industry but for the free market as a whole, but I am just looking for suggestions on what I could do to better secure myself in getting as much profits for my songs even if I accept that a lot of people will probably just turn to piracy.

Anyone here with experience selling music digitally? I'd love to get some advice if you guys have any.

2. CoolSpot

CoolSpot Entrepreneur

From my experience (talking with artists that are solely reliant on digital outlets.) Adding your album to torrent sites and free download sites (even putting your album up on bandcamp as a "pay what you want") isn't as bad of a business move as it seems. It gets your music to new listeners, grows your fan base which then allows you to sell more merch and makes it easier to get gigs, both of which give a higher return than the music it's self. You could release it for free as a budget version (download only) and then offer a "collectors edition" (a physical cd with insert, bundle in some merch like a tshirt or some stickers) and then you have the best of both worlds.
  3. pwarbi

pwarbi Entrepreneur

While I've got no knowledge in this field whatsoever, what I will say is that selling yourself is the same as selling a business and you have to try and get yourself a good reputation first of all.

I'd imagine the most important part when it comes to music is getting your tracks out there and people listening to them. The sales will usually follow.
  4. Corazon

Corazon Entrepreneur

This reminds me of the time when my husband had written more than 200 songs. He was able to gather his guts and tried selling his songs. It's funny but he got lots of calls as an effect of his ad on the paper. But there was only 1 serious prospect who is a college professor. To make the story short, the professor didn't buy my husband's songs so just to be used, my husband gave it for free. The professor got 12 songs he would use for his amateur band.

I guess selling songs is not a good idea. You will only get frustrated.
  5. Alaine

Alaine Entrepreneur

To make some money from your music you need fans. To get the fans initially you have to be willing to give them a "taste" of what they'll be paying for.

This would demand that you create a fan page on Facebook, share some of your songs there and when you have many fans, you could start promoting some of your best songs and ask them to buy them. There are some who'll buy them. Even if the songs eventually end up being posted on some site where they can be downloaded free, you can still consistently make some money selling the songs to your fans.
  6. ruener79

ruener79 Entrepreneur

I'm with the others who suggested that you need to develop a fan base first. While I understand that ultimately the goal is to earn, what you must first tackle is getting your music out. It sounds crude, but nobody would pay anyone they don't know. The suggestion to develop a fan base first is to me a great idea. Rather than putting your music for profit immediately, you must be willing to give some of your music for free taste. As to how many you are willing to share for free, is really up to you.
    For starters, you can join music groups that are insterested in the genre you are producing. Test your music there and see how the reception goes.
  7. jona

jona Entrepreneur

You could try a completely different approach and upload your songs for free to services like SoundCloud and then use websites like Patreon for people that want to pay for your art or sponsor you directly. The free exposure will make your fanbase grow so more people will get to know you and something good could come out of it, either because you could capture the attention of some label executive at best or at least you will get more people for you Patreon. A lot of musicians are making a living out of Patreon.
  8. FenWoFon

FenWoFon Entrepreneur

First off you should give your songs some publicity in order to make them known all around, you gotta start with your friends, then your city, your whole country and there you go, use youtube or any other social media to give your product some publicity, otherwise people will never buy your stuff because nobody knows it and who buys something people dont know about? I would definitely buy something I have never heard of, you should start to work on getting your songs heard before trying to sell them, that is my opinion though.
  9. rz3300

rz3300 Entrepreneur

Well I have to say that it sounds like a pretty good way to make a little money. The best part is that it seems to be something that you enjoy doing, which is always a good thing. You know the saying, don't do anything for free if you can make money at it....or something like that. I hope that everything works out for you and I look forward to hearing what you have to offer.
  10. briannagodess

briannagodess Entrepreneur

I would suggest that you create a YouTube account and try singing cover songs first. Make sure you have enough subscribers to your channel before you upload your own songs. This way, people would know that you are the singer and writer of these songs. Of course, since it's with YouTube, you'll earn some profit as well. You have the rights to your song and you earn a fanbase as well, win-win.

Of course, if eventually you might want to have your own album and sell your songs, you might still get offers in YouTube. If you become popular enough, some music labels would actually want to do business with you. I know of many artists in YouTube who got offered music labels and contacts just because of their channel and uploaded videos.

So good luck and I hope you make it!

Featured Businesses (View All)