EntrepreneurFix Is a Free Entrepreneur, Business and Start Up Forum

Connect With Other Entrepreneurs Online Today!
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Selling Advice for Noobs

Discussion in 'Sales, Marketing and PR' started by Goldstandard89, Mar 23, 2016.

1. Goldstandard89

Goldstandard89 Entrepreneur

What advice or tips would you give to people who are just starting out? Assume you were restarting out without a list, experience, and an idea of where to start. What do you need to do to get that first sell under your belt quickly? Or just how do you get a quick sell?

2. pwarbi

pwarbi Entrepreneur

I think listen to your potential customers is something that often gets overlooked when it comes to selling. Most people think that it's about trying to persuade somebody to purchase what you've got, but more often than not these days, people already know what they want and they just expect you to be able to offer it, and more importantly, at the right price.
  3. Vinaya.Ghimire

Vinaya.Ghimire Entrepreneur

Here is what I have to say to a newbie:
    What is the basic idea. How the competitors are using the similar idea.
    Analyzing the competitors performance, for instance making note of market share.
    Who are the customers, are they still looking for better products.
    How do you wish to start. Do yo have enough finances?
  4. briannagodess

briannagodess Entrepreneur

Here is what I would advice anyone starting out in the business:
    • Promote, promote, promote. Market your product offline and online. Create banners, leaflets and flyers for offline marketing and create ads, articles and utilise social media for online marketing.
    • Be a professional. Always treat any potential customer professionally even though he or she is a friend or an acquaintance.
    • Build rapport. You need to build that comfort level before you can promote your product to someone. So try building that rapport first before diving into the basics of your product.
    • List the pros. List the pros of your product and why it stands out from the competition. Make sure what you say are backed up by resources and studies.
    • Create your business card or logo. Make sure that people will know who you are and what your brand is through your calling card and logo.
    Good luck!
  5. Valerie

Valerie Entrepreneur

Adding on to the stellar advice already given, here's my two cents:
    1. Get social - although already stated, I cannot preface enough how important socializing with people is when you start a business. You have to make pitches, build rapport, gain trust, and show a genuine interest in your business, employees (if you have them), and clients.
    2. Map out a Plan A - and then map out 25 more. Have a flexible business plan. Know what resources you have on hand and get estimates on hypothetical expenditures vs. profits. People are going to ask you a lot of questions about your business, so make sure you know the answers.
    3. Be persistent but not annoying - everyone in the business world is busy. Sometimes an individual or group may need an extra push with evaluating or buying what you're selling; but don't get desperate and try to pressure people into a purchase. You won't make friends that way. Rather, show confidence in your goods and attract the right kind of attention.
    4. Patience goes a long way. You're going to have to promote, as briannagodess stated. You're going to have put yourself out there...and sometimes that takes a while.
  6. Raisa Shafiyyullah

Raisa Shafiyyullah Entrepreneur

When starting out, get as much as leads you can. Out of 100 leads, maybe about 3-4 will be positive leads. But you get better each time you follow those leads. It's a learning process and you get to know more and more about your market. Oh start small/local first.
  7. T J Tutor

T J Tutor Administrator Entrepreneur

This depends whether it is online or offline.

What kind of business?
  8. jona

jona Entrepreneur

Focus on the problem that your product fixes for the customer , don't focus on the actual features of your product. Sell them a solution to something, don't sell them a detailed list of features. Even if your product uses the latest and most impressive technology what clicks with your market is what issue is your product solving.

This is a problem that we people coming from a technical background face all the time, we try to sell the features, the impressive algorithms that we devised, and such, nobody cares about that and people will go with your competition even if they build their stuff with duck tape and sticks as long as that thing actually solves a problem for them.
  9. pwarbi

pwarbi Entrepreneur

I think somewhere else people go wrong, is that they don't see their customers as people but more as figures and numbers, and with that approach you lose the personal touch.

Once a potential customer as turned into a current customer, focus on ways in which you can keep them happy, don't just forget about them as soon as you've made the sale.
  10. Corazon

Corazon Entrepreneur

Our college professor said that there are salesmen who are born and salesmen who are made. So if you don't have the inborn talent in selling then you might as well learn the ropes first. I have a good experience in selling because my colleagues said that I am gifted. However, I have a sad experience when I opened up a sales business that of a boutique. My point is this - direct selling is far different than a retail business.

Featured Businesses (View All)