EntrepreneurFix Is a Free Entrepreneur, Business and Start Up Forum

Connect With Other Entrepreneurs Online Today!
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Potentially Banned from U.S. - Watch Yourself!

Discussion in 'Travel' started by azgold, Jun 28, 2016.

1. azgold

azgold Moderator Entrepreneur

Did you happen to read the article by Nick Whigham on news.com.au? You may want to, especially if you've posted stuff on your social accounts that could be construed as nefarious by the Department of Homeland Security. And I think we can all agree that they have no sense of humour, so saying something in jest could be taken seriously.

"THOSE travelling to the United States may soon be asked to hand over their Facebook and Twitter usernames on arrival in order to help officials detect “possible nefarious activity and connections.”

This is currently to apply to foreign nationals, those seeking asylum, immigrants, etc. and isn't official law...yet. The public can put forth feedback until August 22nd.

As far as I'm concerned, if they start doing this for one segment of the population, it will bleed over at some point and be used for everyone. With that in mind, it might be a good idea to post responsibly. It may save you some heartache down the road.

You can read the article here.

Would you be comfortable with handing over your social account information to customs/security?
    VirtualGlobalPhone likes this.

2. VirtualGlobalPhone

VirtualGlobalPhone Moderator Entrepreneur

@azgold ; good topic for discussion (y).

Handing over any individual social account to authority is like inviting them to our bedrooms. Also with this type of "over protectionism" will back fire and create more fear than what we have now. Which will lead to multiple and fake social accounts.
  3. azgold

azgold Moderator Entrepreneur

@VirtualGlobalPhone , I agree completely! There is so little privacy left these days.

I also believe you are right about people going 'underground' with accounts to avoid detection, and about this making things worse instead of better.

George Orwell's Big Brother has arrived. :)

Featured Businesses (View All)