EntrepreneurFix Is a Free Entrepreneur, Business and Start Up Forum

Connect With Other Entrepreneurs Online Today!
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Please help a college student with an idea

Discussion in 'Research and Ideas' started by TWAMPman, Jan 22, 2016.

1. TWAMPman

TWAMPman Entrepreneur

Hello all, this is my first post so please bear with me. I am currently a freshman at the University of Virginia. I plan to be a Special Education teacher. I am immensely interested in history, as well as the outdoors/nature. I had this idea pop into my head regarding an eighteenth century oriented, outdoor guiding service. This company would host outdoor "escapes", or camping adventures based on how things were done during our early frontier/colonial/fur trapping days(focusing on the Rocky Mountain region). I am envisioning a company that would allow parties(vacationers,employers looking for company retreats,etc) to camp/hike/fish and experience life/nature in a similar manner to the way it was done in the 18th century. I am looking for some advice on whether you guys think this would be a realistic/desirable/doable/potentially successful undertaking to pursue. Thank you for your time.
    setupdisc likes this.

2. briannagodess

briannagodess Entrepreneur

I think that's a great idea. People nowadays are always looking for something new to do. In this case, you're reintroducing an old way to a new generation and that can sure spark interest. I think it has a lot of potential as a business venture. You only need to focus more on its application, as well as marketing, to make it more appealing to people. Good luck!
    Digsby Trace and setupdisc like this.
  3. T J Tutor

T J Tutor Administrator Entrepreneur

Welcome to EntrepreneurFix! Thanks for joining us.

Have you established the outlines for this business?
    setupdisc likes this.
  4. Tyler Bell|MYB Revolution

Tyler Bell|MYB Revolution Entrepreneur

I think the ideal would work. As a holistic health coach, I absolutely love the ideal of a all-natural getaway that includes outdoor fitness (sans gym memberships, finally:eek:). I was thinking that once I get my health coaching career off the ground I would love to open up an all natural health retreat and suggest other forms of relaxing getaways for young entrepreneurs so it sounds like our ideals are similar. Perhaps we can stay in contact and even collaborate in the future if you stick with that ideal.

Also, T J Tutor's advice is right you definitely have to be concrete on your business ideal and desired outcome, otherwise you may find you have to spend more time trying to figure out who want to serve and how (*ahem* like me *ahem*:oops:). But stick to your dream and you'll find a way, maybe an even better solution than you originally planned.

So TWAMPman, welcome and keep it up.
    setupdisc likes this.
  5. setupdisc

setupdisc Moderator Entrepreneur

Hi TWAMPman, welcome to Entrepreneur Fix!

That sounds like a fun business to do. One of the first things to look into after getting the layout and other aspects taken care of would be insurance. The reason I suggest this is to keep you and your fun crew safe. :) Out of a great group of people in any environment, you're going to encounter one or two bad eggs or people who are sue-happy and see an opportunity in it. Every now and then, someone might twist their ankle or sprain their knee or something like that and a family member may talk them into a legal pursuit when it may not even be the company's fault.

Either way, you always want to keep yourself protected from that and protect the people going on the tours from injury with some kind of insurance that covers everything. You could make them sign a waiver that things like scrapes and bruises or other minor injuries possible in daily life while doing outdoor activities are exempt from liability, but lawyers are notorious for finding clever ways around even that.

It's a really nice startup idea, and it's a type of business that you could wake up in the morning and really love doing still at the end of each day. Like any fun and enjoyable enterprise, you just want to keep your bases covered while providing something thrilling and exciting to your customers at the same time. The better you're protected, the better time you and they will have, and the better it will be as a venture.

I'm not a business lawyer or even a paralegal for that matter ;-) I just noticed that you'd definitely want to take care of that as one of the first orders of business after you have a battle plan to go about it. You can get help for starting this from the SBA (Small Business Association). I've had both good and bad experiences with mine, but mostly good. The only bad experience I ever had was an individual stealing my invention and running off to another country to produce it, but other than that all the other counselors were great and provided valuable and helpful info over the years. As far as inventions go, I wouldn't go to them for that ever again. As far as start-ups like this, they will help you and then some for very little cost or free to get you started - and that includes legal expertise at your disposal. :)

I hope it's successful for you TWAMPman. Keep us updated and let us know how you're doing. This is a great community (and some of the people here have decades of professional business experience to offer you), so if there's anything you need, just ask! :)

P.S: There's a professional named Zac Johnson on this board who might be able to help you, too. Last week he had a question/answer session where you could ask him anything. He might be able to answer some other questions and contribute to additional advice for you with this endeavor. You might be able to add a post there under that area, or you could try to tag him in a post here to add him to the conversation and get some more great input.
  6. ReadmeByAmy

ReadmeByAmy Entrepreneur

For a College student with an idea like this well this is such a great idea! There is nothing wrong to have a dream that you think will become realistic in the future. Well, have focus and pursue your dreams and good luck! ;)
  7. Arken June Malvecino

Arken June Malvecino Entrepreneur

Going back to the past? That's a great idea! I agree with @setupdisc's opinion. Capital is the main concern in starting that kind of business.
  8. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Entrepreneur

I definitely love this business idea. As a wanderlust and an adventurer, I always have a thing for something different and fun. I think this would really work since most people love traveling and experiencing unique things. Go for it! All the best. :)
  9. TobiasW

TobiasW Entrepreneur

I think it's an excellent idea, marrying together the ideals of sampling something new, a slower pace of life and the opportunity to behave in a different way in a safe environment. I do agree with previous posters about putting together a proper business plan. Even if you don;t need to go to anyone else to borrow money to get started, it will help set you on track with targets to achieve and deliverables to 'tick off'. If you will need backing, it's essential. Most banks offer templates you can use as do small business services in most countries. The business plan in the boring bit, but it's also really important as it can be used as the map to get to your destination. Good luck and do keep us in the loop. I, for one, would love to hear how you get on!
  10. bria1

bria1 Entrepreneur

Great..glad you joined the community...hopefully we can all learn form one another. Don't hesitate to post up a new thread of interesting questions we can all learn from. Make sure your plan is well thought out and has many references and all information needed to be able to secure investors.
  11. ruener79

ruener79 Entrepreneur

@TWAMPman Great idea! First things first, are there similar business offering the same service as what you're planning in the area? Start asking within your area if they are up to that kind of service. As you are thinking about reaching out to companies, perhaps you can start getting feelers from the companies you are targeting and see if they you have a market to tap into. The important thing to consider is if you are providing a need that's not currently met. Look into that.
  12. djentre

djentre Entrepreneur

If you really want to build a business of that sort, focus on the very high end customers. That being said, please let us know where you are with the plan right now?
    remnant likes this.
  13. remnant

remnant Entrepreneur

I think the idea is great and shows that you are an innovator. If you critically look at the trends evolvingtoday, you will realize that modernity is taking its toll, what with the bustling and noisy cities, drab clothing, individualism and concrete jungles all over. There is an emerging phenomenon of civilized retrogression. People are looking back at the 'good old days' and therefore traditional art and cuisine attract a premium just like priceless antiquities. And there lies the opportunity.
  14. djentre

djentre Entrepreneur

I think the word is "An Immersive Storyline". You have to create and build upon immersive storylines. This is the best way to engage people. Maybe you don't even need to create stories, just borrow from history. That way, people will learn about history and have a lot of fun experiencing that era.

Featured Businesses (View All)