EntrepreneurFix Is a Free Entrepreneur, Business and Start Up Forum

Connect With Other Entrepreneurs Online Today!
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Discussion in 'Employment and Human Resources' started by Schmetterling, Jan 25, 2016.

1. Schmetterling

Schmetterling Entrepreneur

What perks do you entice people to come work for your company or to leave it after they are already employed? I am always looking at decreasing my costs of constantly training new employees and perks would probably be a good solution.

2. ruener79

ruener79 Entrepreneur

To us, healthcare is expensive. At the company I used to work for, providing health insurance or at least shared payment of premium on health insurance was what made our employees stick with us. The employees enjoyed this benefit tremendously that they don't want to lose it. But of course, more than the perks - the working environment is the more important thing. Treating employees right is what will make them stay more than the perks.
  3. T J Tutor

T J Tutor Administrator Entrepreneur

You can give them achievement goals with added benefits. This works better than perks in most businesses. There are exceptions, of course. You may need to find a balance between scaled achievements and perks. I see things like health insurance as a scaled benefit rather than a perk.

I see perks as company cars, entertainment expenses, and such.
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2016
  4. sar777

sar777 Entrepreneur

My advice would be, and it's what we typically employ when I do strategic business consulting with my clients is first find out what each of your employees strengths are. (easily done with the Gallup Strength Finder test - $15 per test...not sure if there is a possibility to purchase bulk tests at a discount price)

The reason why I'd start there is because you knowing what each of your employees strengths are, will better let you analyze if they are in the right position or in the right team. If you have them working together with where they each are providing valuable information and skills that come easily to them, you will help them succeed and will give them a sense of comfort in their position. Plus it will benefit your company since individuals who are in positions where their strengths are used are more apt to give more to their position.

The second thing I would do is get a deck of motivator cards. (I'm sure you can get them online or find another method to do this exercise). Everyone is motivated differently, especially when you have a company that may have different generations. While company cars and expense accounts sound good to a lot of higher level and more senior level individuals, I can tell you that is not always what is the prime motivating factor for say millenials. (I know we're all tired of hearing about them).

With the motivator exercise what it does is allows individuals to go through the cards, and put them in three piles. Things that are important to them, sort of important, not at all. Then they take the most important pile and choose 5 top cards and put them in order of importance. You'd be surprised at the results. At one company the CEO was so sure that individuals were most motivated by raises and health care, and what he got back was 85% of the employees were happy with their current salary but wanted more flexibility in their schedules to be able to be at things with their families, and the ability to work from home one to two days a week. One individual's highest motivator was job title. So sometimes it's something really simple that will make your employees loyal, and you can't read minds, and they are not all made the same, so take the time to get a temperature reading from your staff from time to time.
  5. Corazon

Corazon Entrepreneur

I am currently employed and our office has very few perks compared to other companies. Considering that ours is the largest in the industry, it is puzzling to know that some other lesser companies in the field have car plans for their managers. Although we have housing loans and car loans, they are to be repaid in full unlike the car plan which the employee pays only less than half.

But the employees are sticking it out with our company because the salary is relatively higher than other companies. So we have less perks but more salary.

Featured Businesses (View All)