EntrepreneurFix Is a Free Entrepreneur, Business and Start Up Forum

Connect With Other Entrepreneurs Online Today!
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Need to know about Harmonized Sales Tax

Discussion in 'General Business and Entrepreneurship' started by antonioanderson, Sep 23, 2016.

1. antonioanderson

antonioanderson Entrepreneur

This is the first time I am starting a business firm of my own. A few days back, I came to know about Harmonized Sales Tax (HST). I read some details about this from the website of Ontario Business Central. I think it is not applicable for all business. Anyway, I want to know more about it. About its registration and other information. Can somebody help me?

2. azgold

azgold Moderator Entrepreneur

You have to collect and submit HST on all goods and services if you have a business license (and an HST #). You remit HST to the Receiver General, usually quarterly.

The 12% only applies to Ontario residents. If you have customers from a different country or province, you only have to charge what is legal where they live. Or, at least it was last time I dealt with this stuff. Best to call or contact the Receiver General's office or your local small business centre.

Re exemptions, as far as I know, only groceries and kids clothes. Again, get the info from the horse's mouth, as it were.

Does that help?

Featured Businesses (View All)