EntrepreneurFix Is a Free Entrepreneur, Business and Start Up Forum

Connect With Other Entrepreneurs Online Today!
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Motivating your employees

Discussion in 'Mindset and Motivation' started by ReadmeByAmy, Apr 9, 2016.

1. ReadmeByAmy

ReadmeByAmy Entrepreneur

If you are an entrepreneur what are you doing to motivate your employees to come to work everyday and to do their works and responsibilities well for your company? Are you the kind of employer who treats your employees like your own family already? Are you giving importance for their good performance and achievements in their work and give them incentives and rewards for their hard work for your company? How are you motivating your employees?
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2016

2. Corazon

Corazon Entrepreneur

We had 4 employees when our computer supplies retail business was still operating. The 4 are sales person who handles the clients thru phone calls and occasional visits. They are also the ones making the deliveries while my husband is the CEO. You can imagine if those 4 employees would come in late or be absent and there are deliveries to make, my husband would be pitching in. However, the motivating factor is our kindness to them. We treated them as part of the family like when there was overtime work, we treat them to dinner aside from the holiday vacations that we give them. Maybe that treatment was what motivated them to render dedicated work.
  3. Nikita

Nikita Entrepreneur

I believe employee motivation is built and can't be accomplished with just one or two acts so reliance on company outings to me is not that effective unless you show the same amount of concern throughout the rest of the year as well. I wouldn't say that treating them like family is entirely necessary since ultimately the company is still a business and there should be a professional relationship maintained as much as possible with some exceptions depending on the type of business it is, I suppose, but in general I think just showing employees that they are still seen as people and not just statistics on paper would be a good baseline to start with.
  4. jona

jona Entrepreneur

Among the many business books that I read one in particular caught my attention because it claimed that offering people bonuses and raises usually hardly motivates them at all, this is almost a paradox but this was what the studies this book was citing accounted for. Of course, you want to know what motivates the majority of employees if it is not money, well the answer appears to be: challenges, turns out people are much more motivated by challenges and the sense of accomplishment that you get when you overcome those than by actual money. This was so completely counter intuitive that I actually questioned the whole thing but I've been slowly realizing that there is an element of truth there. Naturally, this is not an excuse for paying your employees badly since an underpaid employee will leave more sooner than later.
  5. FenWoFon

FenWoFon Entrepreneur

The best you can do to motivate your employees is to give them a good treatment, nobody in life likes being treaten as a piece of stone, the better you treat them the more motivated they are goign to be at their work, yo ucan also offer them salary bonuses and stuff like that to keep your employees on track and always giving it all while working, it is all about what kind of person you are and if you are a good boss or not, that is my opinion though.
  6. Valerie

Valerie Entrepreneur

Well, I've never had employees, so I looked at this question from the angle of how past supervisors have motivated me to work harder. Whenever the times were challenging, like too many customers to satisfy them all and whatnot, the higher-ups that patted us on the back and said, "You guys are doing your best, so I'll treat you all to pizza," were awesome. Ideally, employees want to know that they are respected, that their effort has meaning. As long as you do that, you will keep them motivated.

Featured Businesses (View All)