EntrepreneurFix Is a Free Entrepreneur, Business and Start Up Forum

Connect With Other Entrepreneurs Online Today!
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Man feared frozen to death makes "miracle" recovery

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Lounge' started by EF-Roger, Jan 20, 2016.

1. EF-Roger

EF-Roger Entrepreneur

"We knew we needed a big, big miracle." Those words from Pennsylvania mom Sissy Smith suggest just how grim the prospects seemed for her 26-year-old son, Justin, who was found unconscious and frozen after a night out in subzero temperatures last winter.

Somehow they got that miracle -- and Justin, who was on the verge of being declared dead, not only survived but is thriving and returned to the hospital this week to thank those who saved his life.

The story began in February 2015 when Justin Smith was walking home after a night out at a bar with friends. He doesn't remember what happened, but doctors believe he must have slipped, hit his head and fallen onto a snowbank, The Morning Call newspaper reports. His father found him there the next morning after 12 hours exposed to the elements. The temperature overnight had fallen to 4 degrees below zero, the paper reports.

Read more Pennsylvania man feared frozen to death, Justin Smith, makes "miracle" recovery - CBS News
    setupdisc likes this.

2. setupdisc

setupdisc Moderator Entrepreneur

This reminds me a little of the original story of the Titanic, where the cook didn't freeze to death because he had been drinking way too much. It kept him warm and slowed down his reaction stimuli which helped prevent shock from the cold water. Could be the same for this guy out in the freezing snow.
  3. Pop

Pop Entrepreneur

They use freezing in some high risk surgery like heart surgery, because the tissue is cold it does not degrade and the heart can beat very slowly without dying. Just like whole body refrigeration. I wonder if this is what sometimes happens with people who get chilled very rapidly. If it happens in just the right way they are essentially preserved without being killed. Like an animal in hibernation
  4. harpazo22

harpazo22 Entrepreneur

I just saw this story today on Facebook. It's crazy that the doctor wanted to try and make him come back to life. I'm glad he got a second chance at life.

Featured Businesses (View All)