EntrepreneurFix Is a Free Entrepreneur, Business and Start Up Forum

Connect With Other Entrepreneurs Online Today!
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Low Capital Online Business Ideas?

Discussion in 'Research and Ideas' started by Alaine, Mar 19, 2016.

1. Alaine

Alaine Entrepreneur

Hi everyone,
    I've been thinking of starting an online business and have done some extensive research but most of the business which could be profitable demand that I invest a substantial amount of money first. Since all ventures are risky and I don't won't to lose a lot of money on my my first venture, I'd rather start a low capital business and if it's successful, I could invest more money in it.

I need your help though, need ideas. What are some low capital business one can start on the net?

2. Vinaya.Ghimire

Vinaya.Ghimire Entrepreneur

You can start an online store in less than $100. Here is the plan
    You need a website: registering a dot com and hosting for $22(for one year)
    Install e-commerce software: free
    List the products to sell: you may have to hire a photographer and take some pictures, spending about $50
    Content writer:you will have to develop contents for the related products, spending about $25
    Social media marketing: free
    Alaine likes this.
  3. Alex77789

Alex77789 Entrepreneur

Well, mb you should firstly start an ordinary low cost businedd for you to save some money on networking? If I were you, I'd do that)
    There're tons of ideas for such startups. You ma find some info here: businessmentalmodels.com/is-it-possible-to-business-at-home/
  4. Ladyferoz

Ladyferoz Entrepreneur

• You could start a blog and use affiliate marketing, it has worked for many people here. I suggest working online a few hours a day to supplement the costs, for example, you can use the $10 from surveys etc to host your website.
    • You can buy and flip domains for cheap if you do the research
    • You could use Amazon as your marketplace to sell and flip old things you find at thrift stores
    What is your budget? Cheap to one person can be $500 for example. And remember that to be successful, you will have to take some risks, and invest money if you believe in your business
  5. remnant

remnant Entrepreneur

You can open an online store at Shopify. It is easy to start and once the store picks up, you will be on your path to financial stability. Another place to sell your products is the online store, Etsy where you can photograph handicrafts and sell them online. If you can teach a course through email marketing, register through Aweber for 19$ per month. Other online stores you can start online is by signing up with Zazzle and Cafepress.
  6. Vinaya.Ghimire

Vinaya.Ghimire Entrepreneur

If you do affiliate marketing for the affiliate networks that do not require website, you can earn good money even without investing a cent. Even if the affiliate networks require website, you can create a free website and blog (there are various platforms available), and begin promoting affiliate products. There will be no investment required.
  7. jc banks

jc banks Entrepreneur

I think you need to know what kind of business you want to do, I sell on Etsy it don’t cost much to sell there the items I sale range in cost to make as well as cost of time. It only cost .20 cents to post a item. If you want to affiliate marketing, its a bit of work but can be done for little money, few make a lot of money doing it, its got to be your cup of tea.

You can do blogs and make money, you can sell e-books if you got something to share you think others will buy. E-bay and many others places you can start but you have to know what you are willing to do.
    Alaine likes this.
  8. jona

jona Entrepreneur

Be aware that while some ways to earn money online require little to no capital at first, they do require a lot of your time, it is up to you to decide how valuable your time is in terms of opportunity costs for not doing something else with it.

If you have a risk adverse personality consider traditional investing first, before starting your own business. If you invest little you will lose little in the case of an adverse result, but the opposite is also true, don't expect huge returns out of a very low investment. It could happen, but only if you knock it out of the park.
    Alaine and jc banks like this.
  9. Corazon

Corazon Entrepreneur

My suggestion is drop shipping where the capital is very minimal since you don't buy products. Try the promotional ladies wear or beauty products. They are always in social media. The company gives you the brochure and eveything you need via online and when you get orders, they deliver the products to your doorstep. Some drop shipping requires a deposit but mostly they just enter into a contract. Just like that - connect to a supplier and offer to prospective buyers.
  10. djentre

djentre Entrepreneur

1. Join 2 freelancing websites - take orders on one and hire freelancers on the other to complete the job. You will be able to take on as many jobs as you want.
    2. Create an fb ad campaign to sell something unique- but don't stock it until you get enough orders. List the product on Amazon and run the ad so as to reach the max number of people. When the orders pile up, order the combined thing.
    3. Offer services like cleaning, drop shipping or delivering groceries.

My Favorite: Finally, look for tenders related to public works or United Nations or something. Check out this website: Welcome to MERX - Bienvenue à MERX Take on a job that you qualify for, something simple like office supplies! If you don't qualify yet, start working towards becoming qualified. City governments are always overwhelmed with work and need people who can supply them things. If that doesn't work, offer to provide something for the UN, UNDP etc.

My main point is don't look for ideas - look for opportunities. Suppose there is some tender offered by some county in NY that's likely worth $50k, would you just let the opportunity go simply because its not something you're not interested in? I hope not. Just be the middleman- that's the best low cost business. And if not, take on an order and then find some place where you can find the same product for cheaper and deliver the order.
  11. bhu

bhu Entrepreneur

What a great topic. And so many rich ideas in response. Since you are risk averse as I am, I would recommend writing and selling e-books on Amazon. To increase your downloads and sales - and thus profits - check out the free e-book Reader Magnets at Amazon Kindle. It will tell you how to setup your free site on WordPress with a free email marketing service. Then it tells you exactly how to get rolling with your first two or three books and how to promote the whole thing, so you're not out any money, just raking it all in. Reader Magnets is your new best friend. Good luck!
  12. Raisa Shafiyyullah

Raisa Shafiyyullah Entrepreneur

You can partner up or network with skilled individuals, then find clients or business that need their services. So you'll do consulting, and focus on building your client list. For instance, if you partner up with web developer, then you can start looking for people that need some websites done. Try craiglists, or upwork and limit to your area first. :)
  13. Jack Benoit

Jack Benoit Entrepreneur

Thеrе аrе lоаds оf bооks оn Dоing businеss undеr Rs.5000/-. Yоu саn сhесk thеm fоr rеfеrеnсе. Fоr stаrtеrs why nоt stаrt sеlling сhаi in vаriоus flаvоrs in а Thеrmоs tо соrpоrаtе tеаms instеаd оf thеy drinking thе mасhinе tеа. Undеr Rs. 5000/-
  14. rz3300

rz3300 Entrepreneur

Well first off thank you so much for asking the question because I am loving going through all the responses. Second, thank you to all the people here who have responded because this is a great list to go through and I am sitting here taking notes on my little pad of paper. I was going to say do some research about sites where you can sell what you trying to sell, but it seems like most of those have been covered. I wish you all the best.
  15. briannagodess

briannagodess Entrepreneur

Here's a few low capital business ideas I can suggest to you:
    • Pastries and other baked goods. If you have a talent for baking, try this one out. Some people that I personally know invested only a low amount of capital and has regained that money after just a few months. You can supply birthdays, events and food shops with your baked items. Try making your own e-commerce account in Instagram or maybe a Facebook account and sell items there.
    • Beauty products and skin care products. It's very easy to find a supplier of these items. Make sure to find items that aren't sold locally and sell them online. You can create your own website or again use Instagram or Facebook.
    • Writing services. With this one, you might need to hire a professional writer so the workload is not too bad. There's lots of people nowadays who need writers. You can create your own website for this one.
    • Packed meals. I see these types of businesses all the time. You can just create an account on Instagram or Facebook and start supplying these meals to popular fitness gurus or even celebrities. It is very low capital since you only need some cooking skills.
    I hope this helps!
  16. Apolloniac

Apolloniac Entrepreneur

You could start writing online with no capital at all just sweat equity. You could start blogging, writing essays or ghost write papers with nothing more than a free internet connection at a cafe. But if you want more and fast you could start making your own website-- make it so you have a lot of followers and advertise like crazy. I think hosting just costs $5 a month at the least.
  17. scaleclack

scaleclack Entrepreneur

Amazon has an affiliates program and I like them because they have such a huge selection of items.
    Book reviews and other product reviews are popular.
  18. thedude

thedude Entrepreneur

The cheapest online business is affiliate marketing. You can get free hosting with blogger or wordpress. An optional domain cost 10 a year if you want to look more professional. So basically you could make a successful website for free if you use wifi hotspots at cafes and such. That's pretty cool considering the only investment is lots of time and patience. Start something for 0.00$
  19. bob1978

bob1978 Entrepreneur

Look at it this way, starting a low-capital business means the barriers of entry are rather low. For this reason, you'll be competing with almost everyone else online who also has the same interest, but perhaps has a higher budget to work with compared to you. The competition will be absolutely fierce. You're going to have to spend time looking for new things to try out, and almost consistently failing. In this case, instead of spending money on the business, you'd be spending time. Assume for a moment that, through some miracle, it works out and you find yourself successful with something. You're thinking of scaling it upwards right? That could work, but as soon as the fierce competition knows about your success, they'll use their tremendous budgets to muscle you out of the market. They have the experience. They have the money for ads. They have the promotional and possibly marketing skills to do it. The only thing you could have, is brand recognition.

Now, imagine if you instead tried businesses with a significantly higher barrier of entry. You'll need to spend four to five digits to get it up and running. You're scared it might fail, and you'll lose your hard earned cash, right? There's always a chance of that sure, but with such large budgets to work with, there are some things that work in your favor - you'll be facing fewer competition, you can offer a similar level of service/product but at a slightly different flavor, the potential revenue generated would be significantly higher compared to low-budget ventures, and so on. If you fail? Well, it's not money lost, it's time lost.. time used to earn that money. A similar length of time you'd have to spend anyway trying to find a successful business if you did the low-capital path instead.

Weigh both of them together, which do you think is the better path? The end path is pretty much the same for both (successful business earning you lots). Which path do you think has a better chance of working out?

If I were in your position, here's what I'd do - forget about low-capital markets. The chances of working out there is too low. You'd have to score a few of those rare successes before you can maybe find a possibly lucrative venture. Then you'd have to fight against the bigger players for market share. Instead, earn income by doing your day/night job. At the same time, do in-depth research on a medium/high-budget venture. Make sure it's solid, with potential customer feedback/interest/commitment/etc..., business plan, technologies to be used, sketches of interfaces, platforms to launch in, etc... This might take months, even a year or two. When you have everything you need, when you have the plans, every detail put down for the developer(s), then you go for it. You should have enough money to launch something half of full specs, just enough for the first few customers. Then, you let it take off from there.

If it fails? Then it's sad, but you still have tremendous experience for your next venture. You'll rely less on chance, and more on good research and planning. You'll know how to do that faster the next time.

Featured Businesses (View All)