EntrepreneurFix Is a Free Entrepreneur, Business and Start Up Forum

Connect With Other Entrepreneurs Online Today!
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Importance of Landing Page

Discussion in 'Online and Internet Marketing' started by Kulwant Nagi, Jan 18, 2016.

1. Kulwant Nagi

Kulwant Nagi Entrepreneur

I am still stuck at a question - should we add a landing page to redirect the offers to official site or not?

I am making money online with SEO only, where we send people to the offer page with direct linking.

But in case of paid ads, I have heard that adding a landing page is must.

As per your experience, please through some light on this questions.

and further, suggest some awesome tools to create landing pages.
    setupdisc and Zac Johnson like this.

2. Zac Johnson

Zac Johnson Entrepreneur

This definitely varies based on the offer and traffic source.

For example, if you were pushing an online game offer, you would want to send the user directly to the affiliate offer. There is no need to try and convince the user they want the game. If they clicked the link for the game, they likely want to play it. Also, in most cases a commission for a game offer would be so low, that throwing a landing page into the mix wouldn't help with your earnings.

On the flip side, if you are promoting an offer or product that costs a lot of money and the end user is looking for more information, reviews and guidance to convince them that they actually want the product, then you definitely need a landing page.

Another reason why you will want a landing page, is when geo and demographic targeting comes into play. This is commonly seen in the online dating space. If someone is going to run an ad campaign that targets men in between the ages of 30-35 and live in California, the landing page should portray that same message as well... hence improving conversions.

To throw in another reason why you need a landing page, most traffic sources won't allow you to direct link to a landing page offer. You will also get a much better idea of your campaign performance if you can track how many people are clicking from your landing page to your offer and actually converting.

The last reason I'll give, is simply to have the ability to split test and optimize your landing pages. If you send traffic to your advertiser page, it's going to convert at whatever it converts at. By pre-selling your audience with a landing page, you can swing the conversions in your favorite and split test everything to increase those margins even more.

As for tools... leadpages, prosper, adsbridge, vollum... lots to choose from. It's just a matter of finding one that fits your budget and has the tracking capabilities that work for you.
    setupdisc likes this.
  3. Cleveland76

Cleveland76 Entrepreneur

I'll assume you're thinking of creating some landing pages for an AdWords campaign, to send Pay Per Click traffic to your web site. In that case, yes, you absolutely want specific landing pages to send the users to. There might be some situations, such as if you were an ecommerce web site, where individual products would essentially be your "landing pages", but in most cases, you want a clear and concise page for the user to land on after clicking your ads, which leads them into the sales/conversion funnel without getting distracted or confused.

As an example, I ran PPC in the insurance industry for several years. The average costs per click in that space were through the roof, well over $50 a click for the high volume keywords. So it was imperative that as much of the traffic we were paying for converted at as high of a rate as possible, otherwise we would be losing a considerable amount of money on our efforts.

Rather than just send them to our home page, and hope they find their way into our online quoting system or call to speak with one of our agents, we would send them to a stripped down landing page with a strong marketing message on it that had some sort of bold call to action, and a large size form field and submit button for them to enter their zip code and begin getting an insurance quote. We didn't want them going to just the home page, and getting distracted by some of our blog posts and articles, and then leaving, we wanted to get them into a quote and a sale as soon as possible. In fact, the more information we can get from them up front, such as an email address, the more we could at least re-market to them even if they didn't buy a policy that day.

We had custom landing pages created for each type of insurance, so if we had a campaign promoting auto insurance, our ad copy mentioned auto insurance, and we sent them to a landing page focused on starting an auto insurance quote. If we had a home insurance campaign, same thing - a home insurance ad and a home insurance landing page. In fact, we took it even further, because we had separate campaigns by line of insurance, and by individual states. So someone in Michigan searching for auto insurance would see a unique landing page that had marketing messaging tailored to their location as well.

One of the big reasons why this is so important, in addition to being highly relevant to the user and their search intent, is that Google AdWords checks every page that your AdWords ads are sending users to. They make sure the keyword you are bidding on and your ad copy are relevant to the landing page you are sending them to, and score it. This affects your Quality Score in Google AdWords, which influences how much you will pay per click for your traffic. If you are sending them to a vague or irrelevant landing page that's not closely related to your keywords and ad copy, you will get penalized with having to pay a higher CPC for that keyword(s) to maintain a given position, or simply start dropping in position or have those ads not appear to anyone at all.

That said, if you start making 100's or 1,000's of highly targeted landing pages (such as by state, city and zip code) to send your PPC traffic to, you may want to mark them as "noindex" for SEO purposes, as Google may see them as "doorway pages" when it comes to organic traffic. Ironic, I know, since something that would generally be viewed as a good practice for PPC can be bad for SEO, potentially.
    setupdisc likes this.
  4. deniafe

deniafe Entrepreneur

In most cases, yes, a landing page is necessary to convince your traffic to turn into leads or customers. Most times direct linking concerts poorly. But, that does not mean direct linking does not work in some cases. I have seen affiliates converting very well with direct linking.
  5. onlinecashcity

onlinecashcity Entrepreneur

Landing pages can be pretty effective if done correctly. It can also help you build an email list or something that can be useful down the road.
  6. Vinaya.Ghimire

Vinaya.Ghimire Entrepreneur

If you are selling service of product,landing page can be a great way to promote your product or service. However, you must understand online visitors have very small attention time and if your landing page loads for long time, the visitors hay go else where. You must offer something to make the visitors stay
  7. remnant

remnant Entrepreneur

The landing page should not be cluttered so that a prospective customer can navigate easily. It should be attractive since it is your main lead page for conversions. To this end, it should have an opt-in box where they can sign up with their email address. The word 'email address' should appear in the opt-in box and disappear when the user clicks the space. You can use red and blue interchangeably for this space as the mouse hovers over it to prompt the prospective user to sign.
  8. djentre

djentre Entrepreneur

If the product itself has a lot of description and reviews, I wouldn't bother with a landing page.

In all other cases, landing pages help. You need to know what kind of a landing page you want, but some sort of landing page is always better.

Another way to do this, is to build a "review" site/blog. So, each post will be sort of a landing page in and off itself.
  9. Jack Benoit

Jack Benoit Entrepreneur

If yоu соuld dо оnе thing right nоw tо drаstiсаlly imрrоvе yоur lеаd gеnеrаtiоn еffоrts, it wоuld bе tо usе lаnding раgеs оn yоur wеbsitе. Tоо mаny соmраniеs sеnd thеir еmаil, sосiаl mеdiа, аnd sеаrсh trаffiс tо thеir hоmераgеs. This is thе еquivаlеnt оf thrоwing lеаds аwаy. Yоu соuld сарturе thеsе lеаds аt а muсh highеr rаtе simрly by sеnding thеm tо tаrgеtеd lаnding раgеs. Lаnding раgеs рrоvidе а vеry еаsy wаy tо gеnеrаtе lеаds fоr yоur sаlеs tеаm thаt yоu саn thеn еаsily sеgmеnt, nurturе, оr distributе tо yоur sаlеs tеаm.
  10. Federico.Gimeno

Federico.Gimeno Entrepreneur

I personally don't like pages that present a registration form to you as soon as you land... I'm like , hey wait, I need to see what is it all about before I give you my email or whatever. It's better to learn about the business opportunity or offer that is being advertised first, in a non-invasive way.

Featured Businesses (View All)