EntrepreneurFix Is a Free Entrepreneur, Business and Start Up Forum

Connect With Other Entrepreneurs Online Today!
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Importance of business card

Discussion in 'Travel' started by Corazon, Apr 10, 2016.

1. Corazon

Corazon Entrepreneur

I always bring my business card with me especially when I am traveling abroad. When I meet people, depending on their status in the society, I never fail to give them my card. Especially with the hotel concierge, I sometimes engage them in a chat so I would get an idea of his orientation. And if there is a probable business opportunity then I give him my business card.

The business card now comes with an email address and even a social media account plus a website. But mine is the simple phone number and email address only.
    Ladyferoz likes this.

2. jona

jona Entrepreneur

While I agree that you should give your cards around all the time, precisely because you should freely distribute them and they will reach a lot of people I learned the hard way that adding your phone is a bad idea. For two reasons: you will get a lot of phone calls and this is very distracting as phone calls are something that you have to deal with in real time, the second reason is that your number could change, just like mine did, so all those cards that I handed are kind of useless now, they had my email at least.

Don't add your phone specially if your work home is the same as your personal one unless you are willing to handle a lot of calls and your business depends on this, this can be very disruptive.

I also know people that have 2 cards, one with just a work email, and a second VIP one that they just hand to very important prospects or people that they really want to get it touch with and those cards add a little more information, perhaps even the phone or a different more reserved email address that's unfiltered and more likely to get a fast response.
    Digsby Trace likes this.
  3. FenWoFon

FenWoFon Entrepreneur

The business card is one of the most important things when you own/run a business, it gives your business some good presence and makes it look way more professional and serious, it is always good to give it to people we know and new customers as well, when talking about what it should content, well, basically the business's name, a good slogan of your company and the most important, a contact number to make it easier for people to communicate with you, everything else can be added if you want but those are the most important things a business card should have.
  4. swalia

swalia Entrepreneur

Business cards are a good way to promote your business. It's always good to give your business card to the new people you meet. A professionally designed business card with your name/company's name and contact number makes it easier for the future clients to contact you.
  5. pwarbi

pwarbi Entrepreneur

When it comes to business cards, while I do agree that they are still important and the more you can circulate them the better it is for you, is there anybody else on here that feels a bit self conscious when handing them out?

Over the years they've got a bit of a stigma attached to them as if you're a bit of a pretentious person by handing the out, especially if you're giving them to people who you know you're probably never going to do business with anyway.
  6. Digsby Trace

Digsby Trace Entrepreneur

I usually give business card of the office where I'm working because I don't have my personal business card. I agree that giving a business card with your personal number on it can result to disturbing phone calls. I prefer to give my office number so they can call me during working hours and not when I'm out relaxing. I do give my own e-mail for more personal communication.
  7. Valerie

Valerie Entrepreneur

Ah yes, business cards. In Japan, the very act of exchanging business cards is quite sacred. There's even appropriate mannerisms for accepting someone else's information! Living in Tokyo, I've learned how important it is to keep your business card handy. Everyone asks for it. If you don't have one, it's kind of humiliating. I have firsthand experience in that.
  8. briannagodess

briannagodess Entrepreneur

I think business cards are very important whether you are a small business owner or a big business owner. Even small blog owners need their own business cards in any case that there's a prospect that they meet accidentally. It's a sign of professionalism and it's a good way to be connected with important people. I always ask for business cards whenever I meet someone that might add value in my business or website.

I think it's important as well how you design your business card. Have the following details in your business card:

• Your name and title. If you don't have a title, just put your degree that you graduated in and what university it is.
    • If you have a website with your own name, the better. Otherwise, you can just put your email in the business card.
    • Make the card look professional, elegant and classy.
    • If your business has a logo, you can also put that in the card.
    • It's your choice on whether you will put your phone number in it. Maybe have a separate phone number just for business purposes aside from personal calls.
    I hope this helps!
  9. pwarbi

pwarbi Entrepreneur

In this day and age of technology, you'd have thought that the physical business cards might have already become a thing of the past, but that's not the case.

While personally I'd rather exchange the electronic versions, I myself do still keep a few in my wallet just in case.

Featured Businesses (View All)