EntrepreneurFix Is a Free Entrepreneur, Business and Start Up Forum

Connect With Other Entrepreneurs Online Today!
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

I Started a Homemade Dog Treat Business

Discussion in 'Research and Ideas' started by Sunny77, Apr 26, 2015.

1. Sunny77

Sunny77 Entrepreneur

I have this desire to be a business person in my old age. Since I retired, I have thought up countless business ideas, but only rarely do I actually try them out. The homemade dog treat business was one I actually got into for awhile. It was fun, I got to be creative, and people thought it was a neat idea. Alas, it was very labor intensive, and I made no money.

Has anyone else ever tried this, or some other idea, that you loved, but that just didn't work out for you?
    T J Tutor and K like this.

2. K

K Administrator Business Owner Entrepreneur

Awesome man but sad to see you made no money, is the business still going?

What was the model etc?
  3. harpazo22

harpazo22 Entrepreneur

That's a great idea, but there's already so many dog treats out on the market. People probably grew to trust what they've already been buying for so long. I'm sorry it didn't work out. Keep using your creativity! You never know what could happen with it. :)
  4. Pop

Pop Entrepreneur

If it was a home-made product, the only place I tend to buy these is at craft and seasonal fairs. Whenever I go to a fair there is one or two stalls of premium handmade dog treats and I normally pick some up. Somehow in that context the extra price matters less than the cookie being squirrel-shaped (or some other novelty).
  5. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Entrepreneur

I think it's also a pretty good idea, but I am sorry it didn't work out for you. Well, have you tried advertising your products online or you just do offline selling? No worries, probably in the right time, you'll gain success with your business.
  6. nailah783

nailah783 Entrepreneur

I have tried to start an online bookstore, but that really didn't work out too well for me. I'm pretty passionate about reading and I loved the idea of people finding gems in my rubble, but I couldn't get enough traffic to my site. Especially when you have sites like Barnes and Noble and Amazon. It seemed like a good idea at the time, but it just didn't work out. Sorry to hear yours didn't work out either.
  7. T J Tutor

T J Tutor Administrator Entrepreneur

I was in the Start-Up business for a while in Vegas and I can tell you that even with all your ducks in a row, one may find their success a bit out of reach.

When it comes to physical product start-ups developed by someone that has no experience bringing such products to market, no written plan for sourcing materials, streamlining the assembly of the product, and a solid product presentation, the prospect of success will generally be bleek.

The way around this is to spend some time fulfilling these areas of your start-up. You see, this is what attracts vendors. If a vendor knows and sees that you have these elements in place, then they will have confidence in your ability to meet the product demand.

Anyone can do this, all you have to do is a little bit of educating yourself on the areas outlined above, giving out samples, building a report with vendors, and establishing a small following. You can then attract the eyes and ears of the "angels" in the startup industry.

Featured Businesses (View All)