EntrepreneurFix Is a Free Entrepreneur, Business and Start Up Forum

Connect With Other Entrepreneurs Online Today!
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

How to prevent/limit fraud

Discussion in 'Sales, Marketing and PR' started by William Clements, May 8, 2016.

1. William Clements

William Clements Moderator Business Owner Entrepreneur

Definition: In general Fraud is any type of wrongful or criminal deception intended to result in financial or personal gain and/or a person or thing intended to deceive others, typically by unjustifiably claiming or being credited with accomplishments or qualities.

No matter if your business is a online store, a blog, or even if you are an internet marketer (E-mail Marketer, SEO Marketer, Blog/Display Marketer, Mobile Marketing, Search Engine Marketer, etc.), an Affiliate Network owner, on offline business, etc., all have one thing in common, do you know what that is?

The answer is that our traffic/customers/Affiliates/Advertisers, etc. all can commit fraud.

Starting with offline, your customers can decide to try to pocket your products, steal gas, etc. To try and limit that, you can put a big and noticeable (working or even fake camera) with a sign that says that the property has video surveillance. I would also make sure to place tinny, unnoticeable ones all over the place, inside and outside of total property and surrounding areas. I would make sure to have video surveillance running at all times in case of a shooting, robbery, or stealing of gas and products that are inside and outside of the store, this would include inside car washes or kid play areas. The only place that you should not have them is in bathrooms as that is an invasion of privacy but do have them out front of bathrooms in case they try to bring something they want to steal and but it is shown that they did not walk out with it or they are wearing it.

I know that their are more ways to prevent/limit steal but above are just a few along with putting those tabs on clothing and expensive items that can only be taken off at the store and will cause alarm at entrance/exits to go off.

Now lets talk about online type businesses ideas/traffic. Online can be tricky but with online businesses have that have a physical location to shop and/or work, follow some of the above tips as they still apply. For all online type business (leaving out physical locations), there are many types of steps to take to help prevent and limit fraud.

You can start out by searching and researching different online fraud prevention software. For E- commerce type of software to add to your store front to limit amount of chargebacks and decline use of cards that have been used and charged back such as the use of Signifyd E-Commerce Assurance. You will get reimbursed from they for all chargebacks so you never loss money and they have a 14 day free trial. Find an full list of these types of software/tools by Clicking Here.

For E-commerce and all other types of sites/traffic, you need to have some sort of Proxy Detection software to stop purchases/traffic being done using an proxy IP Address. The purpose of using a proxy is always to commit fraud. Unfortunately, using free/low cost paid proxy IP services are legal to have and they are all over the place. This makes it much easier for people to fraud you.

A proxy or proxy server is basically another computer which serves as a hub through which internet requests are processed. By connecting through one of these servers, your computer sends your requests to the proxy server which then processes your request and returns what you were wanting. In this way it serves as an intermediary between your home machine and the rest of the computers on the internet. Proxies are used for a number of reasons such as to filter web content, to go around restrictions such as parental blocks, to screen downloads and uploads and to provide anonymity when surfing the internet.

Proxies are used to trick websites to think you are from one area/country but you actually live in another. For example, lets say that I live in Las Vegas, I can get an proxy server/IP Address to use to show that I live in Maryland (to show it can even be used to stay within your country). However, they are usually used to show your out of the country.

So, I live in Maryland (I really do), however, it is illegal to do online gambling in USA. I want to gamble online (not really) so I get a proxy to show that I am from the UK (or other country) so I can access the site to gamble.

So, you get the point. Luckily for you, there is software out there to prevent/limit the proxies on your site by blocking them when being used. However, there is no way to ever stop fraud/proxies as they always are evolving but you can try to prevent them and limit them.

If you own an Affiliate Network/Advertiser, use a platform. custom scripts would need to be integrated into your script/platform. However, for renting scripts such as AffTrack,
    CAKE Marketing, HasOffers, LinkTrust, Performa Network (Incent/integrated with ShiftCode (Get-Paid-To (GPT Sites). I can help you get set-up after creating a free billing account/support account. Anyways, all above listed and others that you pay for monthly have an proxy detection software already built in (one less thing to worry about).

Still in need for a proxy service, well, there are many out there but just to name a few, there are Luminati, IPQualityScore.com, ProxStop, etc.

I do hope that this about covers it all. You may learn more about Get Paid To site(s) and CPA affiliate network at my blog which is GPT Tweaks - Powerful ShiftCode GPT Site Script MODs Resources and Advice.

To help other Entrepreneur(s), you may ask questions, provide more content on this subject and more by leaving a comment.
    VirtualGlobalPhone likes this.

2. VirtualGlobalPhone

VirtualGlobalPhone Moderator Entrepreneur

awesome work @William Clements . To add few more prevention method are - spam / banned email ID fraud database linking to your order / signup pages, automatic IP banning after number of tries and transnational security using SMS and Phone services can also bring down huge number of fraud.
    William Clements likes this.

Featured Businesses (View All)