EntrepreneurFix Is a Free Entrepreneur, Business and Start Up Forum

Connect With Other Entrepreneurs Online Today!
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

How much to charge for designing websites?

Discussion in 'Sales, Marketing and PR' started by Ali, Nov 18, 2015.

1. Ali

Ali Entrepreneur

I started designing websites locally and am stuck on hunch I should charge. typically it takes me 6-7 hours of time to design the sites. I'm thinking for a basic site start at $200 is that too low for a custom designed website.

2. T J Tutor

T J Tutor Administrator Entrepreneur

What may work better for you is to design a large number of standard site designs that you can offer cheap ( and some for free) and then when the prospective clients ask about custom work you can get a price much larger that $200. Custom sites are not cheap and you shouldn't short change yourself. Have an inventory of free and cheap to help get your name out ands charge normal prices for custom work.
  3. Karan

Karan Entrepreneur

Something I heard from Gary Vaynerchuk was, work for free (not all the time), but in this generation, we're so "money motivated" (which isn't a bad thing), but we forget that it's a time to further deepen our skills. I myself have designed a website for a luxury watch brand (who stole my design funnily enough). I was planning to charge around the $500-$1,000 mark as they were a highly established brand. But as T J mentioned, it's great to get some experience, and do some work for a little less to get your name out there + "word of mouth" is your friend. Build a loyal clientele base and have them refer you when there's work. :)
  4. James John

James John Entrepreneur

I believe that talent is something that never comes for free. Since, you're in the initiation stage of your career. You need to think, before you jump into the pool of conclusion. You must be able to write down pros and cons of your business. Since, we all are money driven since the starting phase, what we don't realize is, we need to show our work, in order to get work. So, the best option for you would be doing work for as cheap as possible, if possible try giving 2 - 3 websites for free ( If you can ). What else could you do is, ask a 50 $ or as low amount as possible for your diligence. I agree with T J Tutor on this one.
  5. EF-Roger

EF-Roger Entrepreneur

I agree with TJ. Trained, skilled designers are suppose to charge $200 an hr. That was based in 2003-2006 when I went to school.

Dont short change yourself.

Also as a side note. We have another forum in the network that has a design forum in it! Ir you have the time in real life to post there, we invite you to come over and do just that.

Design | Webmaster Forum | WebsiteFix
  6. pwarbi

pwarbi Entrepreneur

When it comes to charging a set fee, I think these days it's probably better to negotiate the rate on a job by job basis to be honest.

As long as you have a set amount in mind, and the client isn't trying to short change you, I think a degree of haggling is acceptable.
  7. Jon Kabrud

Jon Kabrud Entrepreneur

For what it is worth, I had my site built by Web Hosting Hub earlier this year for ~$1300. This was for the entry-level package and I am happy with their work. Personally, and based on experience, I recommend you do associate a "fee" for your work and not work on a pro bono basis. "Fee" can be defined in many ways, e.g. money, client reference, client logo on your corporate site, intro to other prospective clients, etc. Giving something away for free can lead to the perception of no/less value by your clients.

Featured Businesses (View All)