EntrepreneurFix Is a Free Entrepreneur, Business and Start Up Forum

Connect With Other Entrepreneurs Online Today!
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

How far does passion truly go?

Discussion in 'General Business and Entrepreneurship' started by Foxus, Mar 11, 2016.

1. Foxus

Foxus Entrepreneur

Perplexing question, isn't it? I am subscribed to a channel on YouTube called "Evan Carmichel." Maybe you've heard of him, a Canadian entrepreneur, but anyway, what he and guests urge on his videos are only create what you are passionate about, if you do it for any other reason, the biggest example being used being money, during hard times it will not be enough incentive to battle those hard times that face your business, the keep-you-up-at-night demons and the "I need more coffee" situations. I agree, like a computer needs a operator, business is driven by passion and burning desire, however it begs the question,
    "How far does passion truly go?"

At least at the beginning, before you build a cushion for yourself. Money is going to be a driving incentive, unless your business is some type of a non-profit organization. As Robert Kiyosaki said, "Entrepreneurs are people who solve problems."

I'm curious to see what your two cents are, whether passion solely can keep a person going to build up an empire or not? Or if, at the beginning, it's more like a hybrid between passion AND money. And that money is a factor in what industry you go into, whether its hot or not, booming or settling, etc.

Share your thoughts.
    bhu likes this.

2. Corazon

Corazon Entrepreneur

When we registered our computer supplies business, I saw the passion in the eyes of my husband, so to speak. He would stay late in studying business matters. And when the operation started, his working habits have changed from a relaxed 8 hours to a tense "all waking hours" for the business. Clearly he had the passion so I was trusting that passion. And the business was successful on the first 2 years maybe owing to the passion of my husband who acts as the general manager.

But on the other hand, I don't think passion is enough to boost a business. Tact and business knowledge are also required plus some other factors like knowing people.
  3. bhu

bhu Entrepreneur

I'm a big believer in loving what you do. If you're not happy, no amount of money will ever satisfy you. That's part of what I find dissatisfying about direct sales. The heavily dramatized corporate methods of motivation often feel shallow to me. What motivates me is helping people and loving the products and/or services I'm offering and feeling confident in producing and/or operating them in a quality manner. I find that when these things are present, my clients sense it and respond positively. Passion is a key ingredient in my winning formula.
    VirtualGlobalPhone likes this.
  4. Nancy

Nancy Entrepreneur

I help run a non-profit and my job is to make us money :D It is a little different than a business, but I am constantly looking for fund raising ideas, free advertising, and ways to cut costs in order to keep our building up, pay bills, and expand our programs. Passion for our non-profit is definitely what keeps it going! Without the passion of the lady who started it, it would never have succeeded and keeps it moving along.
  5. Valerie

Valerie Entrepreneur

Passion is everything. I believe in that old saying that goes a little like 'if you enjoy what you're doing, you don't work a day in your life.' Staying motivated and doing what you enjoy is the primary ingredient to success. You don't get far in a position that you dislike.
  6. Federico.Gimeno

Federico.Gimeno Entrepreneur

Passion is key for success, not only in business, but in everything in life.

Passion leads to knowledge, and good knowledge leads to good reputation and value add towards customers. The more you love what you do, the better you become at it and the faster you see the benefits.

7. pwarbi

pwarbi Entrepreneur

I think passion can get you a long way, but only so far depending on what context you put it into. In a business its obviously important for you to enjoy what you do, and if your passionate about it then even better.

You can't let that passion get in the way though and let it blind you to what's really might be happening. Passion is important but only as part of a package and you also have to have other qualities aswell to be successful.
  8. 111kg

111kg Entrepreneur

Well, here I am trying to be accepted by the medical school, even after 2 failed attempts. I will continue to try to get accepted even if my girlfriend won't support me anymore and will do whatever it takes, although at this point of my life, I don't know how I'll survive 6 years from a financial point of view.
  9. T J Tutor

T J Tutor Administrator Entrepreneur

I think your statements sum it up quite nicely.

There are both types of business people out there.

A person that starts a business out of their passions is following their heart to proliferate business. However, the same thing can be said for people that simply have a passion for business itself. A person that simply has a passion for business may likely never care a great deal about what market it is in, as long as their research validates their business interest and they can forecast success.

A person with a passion for business and has no need to insulate themselves from some niches, is still pursuing business based on passion, it just isn't niche related passion.
    Isaac Kieffer likes this.
  10. Isaac Kieffer

Isaac Kieffer Entrepreneur

You just answered so many questions for me. I have always wondered why I am in the niche I am. I understand now that I am not interested in real estate itself but the idea of business. I find passion in making something grow and finding success no matter the field it is in. Thanks for that.
    Nathaneal and T J Tutor like this.
  11. pwarbi

pwarbi Entrepreneur

And then there's those that like the idea of owning a business, start up something they're interested in but fail.

When that happens, sometimes it's not the business or even the idea that's failed, it's just down to the person simply not being cut out to own and run a business in the first place, but they won't blame themselves. They'll hide behind the excuses.
  12. remnant

remnant Entrepreneur

The aspect of passion can never be underestimated. Passion can break seemingly insurmountable barriers. But the danger is, one can push luck too far. I attempted to do the same with a papier mache artifact manufacturing business. My products were excellent but I was too engrossed in the venture to think of the marketing aspect and before long, I was staring at insolvency.
  13. Goldstandard89

Goldstandard89 Entrepreneur

Part of the passion is that you can push past the failures needed to make your goal come true. What most inspirational speakers fail to realize that the passion doesn't always have to be about what you are creating. Think about the guys that clean out sewers, they probably didn't choose that job because they wanted to be chin deep in poop and urine but because it pays well. And that might be enough to put food on the table, have a nice house, and send their children to good schools. That passion isn't always for the job or the business, it can be for family. And because you feel so strongly that you need to accomplish something, it will allow you to push through and do what needs to be done.

I have to disagree that at the end of the day money is everything. There are tons of jobs I wouldn't do regardless of how well it pays. People go to nine to fives all day for a paycheck and hate their jobs. Money isn't enough. It helps but in the end we need to find work that challenges us and fulfills ourselves and hopefully the money will come eventually.
  14. rz3300

rz3300 Entrepreneur

Well @Goldstandard89 thank you for sharing that video. I cannot really think of anyone better to speak on the issue than Mr. Jobs, and it is a shame that he had to go so early. Passion can certainly carry someone a long way. A long, long way. I wrote in another post that determination is the factor that I thought was most important, and I think that two really go hand in hand. If you have one you generally have the other, and the relationship is strong. Other factors are needed, time and help are two big ones, but ultimately that determination and passion is what lays the foundation.
  15. Xerxes

Xerxes Entrepreneur

Passion will keep you always looking forward to achieve your goals. Doesn't really matter how many times you fall or how hard is it. You desire to make it a reality is so intense that would blaze
    the sun itself. Sheer tenacity could be seen foulish and crazy for most people, but what I see is the
    pounding heart of a creator. Certainly, there's a risk that passion will consume your own lifetime.
    But for some people, doing that thing that drives them crazy is their way of breathing , their way of enjoying life. Is hard as hell, but is life.
  16. FreelancingQueen

FreelancingQueen Entrepreneur

I think the more passionate you are about the work you do, the more successful you will be at doing it. Think about it, if you love to write are you going to be happier writing your own novels or working in a fast food restaurant? You are going to love writing your own books and any other job will feel very mundane. If you have a passion for something, make it your dream and do whatever it takes to achieve it!
  17. Nathaneal

Nathaneal Entrepreneur

A persons passion can run as deep as the ocean
    Use your passions to their full potential, don't ignore them or you may miss out on a few good opportunities
  18. Spirit

Spirit Entrepreneur

I thought that passion was everything, then I've read a few articles that have challenged the assumption. The one I recall discussing it was a Wall Street Journal article by Scott Adams, he of Dilbert cartoon fame. Although I don't chime with all the sentiment, I have certainly taken on board a lot of the narrative and it's a great read. Take on board the importance of passion but don't assume that's enough.
  19. pwarbi

pwarbi Entrepreneur

I think that a lot of people think that passion is everything but are sadly mistaken and soon find out it takes a lot more to be successful.

In an ideal world if a person is passionate about something then they should be able to make it work, unfortunately that isn't the case, and while passion plays a big part you need a lot of other characteristics aswell.
  20. Alaine

Alaine Entrepreneur

Passion by itself isn't enough.

What if you are passionate about something which people aren't interested in? How can you make money? I think there needs to be some balance between passion and being practical. It's not impossible to learn to like something you previously didn't. You can then use that acquired passion to propel you forward.

To keep it short from my experience, passion doesn't guarantee success in any venture.

Featured Businesses (View All)