EntrepreneurFix Is a Free Entrepreneur, Business and Start Up Forum

Connect With Other Entrepreneurs Online Today!
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

How do you make sure your employees don't steal from you?

Discussion in 'Employment and Human Resources' started by 111kg, Jan 28, 2016.

1. 111kg

111kg Entrepreneur

I'm very curious. For instance, I work at a coffee shop. The previous barrista was kicked out for stealing from the boss (both money and merchandise), but this was discovered accidentally, because there is no way of keeping track of all the things, especially in a coffee-to-go type of shop.

I too could steal small amounts of money if I wanted to without ever being caught, but I choose not to.

However, how do you make sure your employees don't steal from you?

2. Digsby Trace

Digsby Trace Entrepreneur

I always wonder how they do that because I used to work in a restaurant, my manager was very organize and count every materials that comes out of the pantry. She is also very careful with receipts and always check them at the end of the day if it corresponds to the number of items missing. But it's difficult to just accuse your staff in case something is missing so better install a hidden camera. It will cost but will prevent stealing and will save you money in the long run.
  3. djentre

djentre Entrepreneur

Well, first of all numbers don't lie. You can get a tab system going. So, anyone who comes in gets a tab or anyone who wants to buy something first places an order, gets a bill, and then gets their drinks. This way, you know how many Long Island Iced Teas were given out, and so you can easily find out how much liquor should have been used. If there is a gap between the two, well then someone has been stealing for sure.

BTW, if you think this would slow things down, places like Hard Rock Cafe in many places do exactly this kind of a thing.

Next, once you have your numbers in place, then you would want to put up camera - hidden and visible. Your visible cams are for the guests, as well as for your staff, so they know that they need to be careful. There should be a sign that makes sure of that, however, the cams should only be pointed at the bar and not at the dance floor or any other place.

Its not that hard. Finally, when you do catch someone stealing, you don't give them a second chance, because people don't become saints just because you forgave them!
  4. Vinaya.Ghimire

Vinaya.Ghimire Entrepreneur

I have three employees on my dairy farm. The two worker are trustworthy person, however, one is a drunkard as well as thief. I had to hire this person because I wanted a worker but could not find anyone who was willing to work on the dairy farm. I have encouraged the two workers to spy on this guy and offered cash incentives for every proved wrongdoing.
  5. doodles67

doodles67 Entrepreneur

i have a great inventory system, and I have cameras. In the end, you have to look at the numbers. Is the business losing money or inventory on days certain employees are working?

I like the idea of an incentive program.
  6. eProject

eProject Entrepreneur

First you must make sure that you don't get employees with criminal records. You also need to consider giving your employees good salaries according to the work. You must keep records for you to know when your stock or money has been stolen. Never employ drug addicts, they may want to steal to buy extra drugs.
  7. onlinecashcity

onlinecashcity Entrepreneur

It really depends on the type of business. Anything sales related you can do inventory and keep close tabs of accounting and stuff. Even if there is no 100% accurate inventory, you can look at your sales and estimate how often you are reordering things, look at sales trends and see if anything looks strange, etc.

I don't have much experience but anything automated helps. Straight cash stuff is harder to detect. You'll have to watch for it, but it's good to hire competent employees and keep them happy. Also use a system that can't be taken advantage of.
  8. Rodney

Rodney Entrepreneur

Apple stores search their employees after the shift ends. A lawsuit was filed by some employees to get time waiting to be searched to be "on the clock" but it was dismissed.
  9. Corazon

Corazon Entrepreneur

I have a sad experience related to this thread. My assistant who is assigned as the warehouse custodian for used computer equipment and supplies has been stealing the stocks and selling them to the junk shop. He was doing that for several years before one of his peers informed me. I had no choice but to confront him with the evidence (supplied by his peers). Fortunately, the guy admitted his wrongdoing. After reporting him to HR, he was asked to resign with no benefits.

What I see in that problem is the lack of spot audit. If there was random audit, I guess the employee would think twice before stealing. And the CCTV is also a big deterrent.
  10. Bonyi

Bonyi Entrepreneur

I wish everyone could act or behave like you. Not stealing is first of all a choice. You choose not to steal because you know it is wrong. I tell people, don't do to people what you will not like to be done to you.
    Then the thing to do for your employee not to still from you is to pay them regularly and consistently. Give them good welfare package.
  11. Raider19

Raider19 Entrepreneur

I haven't had this problem yet with my business since it's just my wife and I right now. My grandfather had this problem when he ran a florist shop in CT. The only thing you can really do is audit your transactions and be at the business all the time. Sure you can take preventative measures like installing camera's, restricting the amount of cash available to employees and restricting their system access. But the bottom line is that you always need to be present.
  12. Corazon

Corazon Entrepreneur

Although this is not a business but I think this is relevant to the issue of employee's stealing. We always have a housemaid or 2. And since we treat them as family, we trust them with money. We have a petty cash in an ashtray on the computer table. When the housemaid needs something like kitchen items, they just get the money and buy. When we are in the office from Monday to Friday, only the housemaids are left in the house.

After having so many housemaids already, we had hired this Divine who is 36 years old and has children in the province. But the need for money is not an excuse to steal, right? Our petty cash has been missing the big bills all the time so the other housemaid suggested that we lay a trap. And we did confirm that it was Divine who was getting the money. It was really sad. But we did not confront her about it. We just placed the petty cash in another location and the ashtray has only coins for the moment.

That's a lesson to us in testing a person's willpower not to steal.
  13. davidper

davidper Entrepreneur

must be a tool to control this?
  14. ReadmeByAmy

ReadmeByAmy Entrepreneur

In any kind of business there should be trust and respect between the employer and its employees. Without this both will not have a harmonious relationship while working. Sometimes the owners of the business should make it sure that they treat their employees with trust and respect like what I had said and they should give them their rights as an employee of the company like by giving them the right amount of salary, giving them some benefits like incentives and bonuses when they are doing their work well. By means of this I think they will realize that they are not being taken for granted by their employer and the stealing problem can be avoided because they are getting what they want.
  15. Bonyi

Bonyi Entrepreneur

I agree with you. Trust and respect is so vital in an employer - employee relationship. From the part of the employer, respect and understanding and from the part of the employee trust in the employer to give him his welfare package as agreed.
    In most cases stealing occur when employees are not well taken care of.
    Before starting a job it is important that the employee has letter of employement from his employer with all terms of reference and job description well written out should be followed.

Featured Businesses (View All)