EntrepreneurFix Is a Free Entrepreneur, Business and Start Up Forum

Connect With Other Entrepreneurs Online Today!
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

How Do You Like Your Sci-fi?

Discussion in 'Arts and Entertainment' started by Novelangel, Apr 9, 2016.

1. Novelangel

Novelangel Entrepreneur

Perhaps a better question would be, DO you like sci-fi? Not everyone does, I know that, but I just thought it would be cool to discuss the different types of sci-fi films out there.

My husband, for example, prefers movies where all or most of the action takes place out in space. I like that too, but it can't be cheesy. I like ultra-realism in my sci-fi. For example, if in the movie they show a comet soaring past and you can hear it roaring like a freight train... well, I have a problem with that.

Some science fiction movies feature a futuristic Earth setting. I like those too as long as they look realistic to that setting. An example would be a movie set in the year 2130, or whenever, and you see people wearing hairstyles and fashions that are current today. To me, that's a no-no.

To some of you, the cheesy stuff might be a thing of legend, to others, the ultra-realistic type may be your thing. Or perhaps there is a spot somewhere in between? What do you think about science fiction films? Name a few that you think are the best ever made and why don't we also name some that we consider horrible.

For me, horrible would be Star wars: Threads of Destiny, a YouTube film I like to call, "Tire Treads of Destiny" due to the fact that it was apparently filmed inside a tire store. You can actually see racks of automobile tires throughout the movie.

A great movie would be something like, Elysium, or Gravity, just to name a couple. Anything from the Alien series is top of the line to me as well.

2. Valerie

Valerie Entrepreneur

I'm a total sci-fi and fantasy nerd. My favorite science fiction revolves around the cyberpunk and steampunk genres--especially when there's a whiff of mystery involved. Though, that's pretty much thinking of science fiction books. George Mann and Gail Carringer nail that realm. Then there's Scott Orson Card with the Ender novels that brings science fiction into psychological grounds. The 'I, Robot' series is another great example of what good sci-fi is to me.

Movies, I'm quite flexible. Ideally, the best science fiction films are post-apocalyptic or space-age. I'm a huge fan of the older Star Trek with William Shatner and the gang, as well as the original Planet of the Apes. Alien, Bladerunner, Equilibrium, the original Total Recall, and Battleship Yamato are prime examples of what I like. I'll agree with you about Elysium being wonderful. One of the best sci-fi films I've seen in a long, long time.

What doesn't do it for me is anything on the Scy-fy channel. To me, any original production of their's does the science fiction genre a horrible disservice.
    Novelangel likes this.
  3. acheno84

acheno84 Entrepreneur

I absolutely love Sci-Fi. I definitely like watching Planet of the Apes because I love the details in the characters and I love the story lines. I think it's nice to get a way from reality once in a while and watch some Sci-Fi Fantasy. I do think that the local tv channels could do a little better with their shows, but Netflix usually has a great selection of movies and shows to watch. Always cool to meet another Sci-Fi fan :)
    Novelangel likes this.
  4. Corazon

Corazon Entrepreneur

I am not a sci-fi fan but I like sci-fi movies when it is not complicated. Like the Terminator movie of Arnold Schwarzenegger, I can fully understand unlike the Star Wars which overwhelms me with facts and figures which are sometimes so difficult to understand. But when the genre is comedy like "Who shrand the kids" or something like that, I appreciate. The last sci-fi movies I had watched were Jurassic World and Pixels which are all right as far as presentation and story are concerned.
    Novelangel likes this.
  5. Novelangel

Novelangel Entrepreneur

Another interesting sci-fi movie I like but forgot about earlier is, The Thirteenth Floor. If you haven't seen it yet, I would strongly recommend it, if for nothing more than the surprise ending. (I just love those) I have seen most of the films that you all have mentioned above, and many of them are favorites of mine as well. Here's something interesting about sci-fi: Many times, especially in "cult" sci-fi, where there is a huge following, the series might feature big discrepancies from one episode to another. The audience never cares because it's sci-fi, and it can change as it pleases. Star Trek is big for that. There is an answer for everything and the audience just eats it up. :)

Featured Businesses (View All)