EntrepreneurFix Is a Free Entrepreneur, Business and Start Up Forum

Connect With Other Entrepreneurs Online Today!
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Good from the bad

Discussion in 'Useful Resources and Inspirations' started by dwhs, Aug 9, 2015.

1. dwhs

dwhs Business Owner Entrepreneur

For me there was no other option, I have been kicked out of every school and fired from almost every job. I just couldn't take orders, I have no idea why, but something in me gets angry when forced to do something I don't want to.

After getting fired from Home Depot in 1997 it was sink or swim. I already had a couple small businesses like computer repair and small business marketing help. Neither made over $500 a month. Not even close to not having a day job.

I asked my grandma what I should do for a business.

She said combine the three things you love most.

This was computers, helping business, and music. Napster was already going to court at this point so I didn't want to risk going to jail with the music business. So I used what was left and starting a small business computer consultant company.

The company turned into an Internet presence service after partnering with a medium sized web hosting company which I still run today. Since 2001 and stronger than ever. We have employed over 50 people and helped over 100k businesses all over the world.

That's 20 years in a nutshell :)

2. harpazo22

harpazo22 Entrepreneur

That's great! I'm glad you found out how to combine what you love and flourish in business. You should work on your anger when you have to do things you don't want to do though. :)
  3. Kathryn M.

Kathryn M. Entrepreneur

Good for you! These are the stories I love to hear. Someone starting with nothing but 2 sticks and a rock, and turing it into an enterprise. It really does give confirmation that it takes 10 years to become an overnight success.

How hard or easy was it for you to keep going? Where there times when you wanted to give up, or did you always know you would be successful once your grandma pointed you in the right direction? Was your business affected by the bad economy in 2007? Or were you able to sort of bypass that since you were in computers/technology?
  4. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Entrepreneur

Wow. That's totally great to hear! :) I am happy to know that things did work out on your end. Well, I really believe that you should always pursue your true passion in life. It would make you feel happy and fulfilled, not to mention, very successful. :) All the best!
  5. nailah783

nailah783 Entrepreneur

You've had a very impressive career. I'm glad it all worked out for you. I'm sure you made your grandmother proud. It probably did her heart good to see you make something out of one of her snippets of advice.
  6. xeylonfm

xeylonfm Entrepreneur

Your story remind me of how my life evolved after college and I can relate to some few things of what you just mentioned. Let me give you something little about myself; life in campus was not turning out the way I had hope it would because despite the fact that I loved what I was studying, computer science (Bsc), I was technically already a dropout. My dad did not know about this and I decide it was a secret that would stay uncovered. So after campus, he cut the funding and that was when life went south for me. It was either a “sink or swim” situation like you put it. However in the midst of financial distress, I decided to stay with a girlfriend and even the little savings I had dwindled really fast. I decided to take up some writing job within town where I would develop some articles for pay. The employers were “ghosts” and I was the same to them. We met over the internet and worked in the same manner. To date, I never met them. However bit by bit I became a professional in the area and I enjoyed some privileges. However later on I felt the job was not something I would have liked to do forever. 2 years down the road I quit and decided to make some investment. I was literally heading for unchartered territories. You can imagine what this can mean with the little savings I had left. However with due diligence and proper mindset, I am here still running. I like to be free and I work from home in my comfort zone and without being coerced into doing something I don’t like. Starting a business as I have experience is quite challenging and by the time that you even have 50 people to employ on a stable basis, it implies you have come through some tough times and you are bold enough to carry on with what you are doing. I would say nothing less than a congratulations brother. Strong belief always push men forward. Never slack and never waste time in endeavors and commitments that seem to stall or move in inch/day speed. They may be worth it in the end, but you will have lost the war. Keep on partner.
  7. ReadmeByAmy

ReadmeByAmy Entrepreneur

Your story is truly very inspiring! I am glad that despite things had been difficult or bad for you in the past you had decided to strive hard to pursue your goals in life that had gave you good success in your present life. This only shows that if life had not been good to us in the past we should not give up because there will always be better days to come into our life. That is why keep it up in doing a great job!
  8. arthnel

arthnel Entrepreneur

I also think you did a great job. You could have given up and blamed life for being a bummer, but you kept at it. Stories like these reach out to people like me and others in this forum who are new on the road to having our business and sometimes feel like giving in. I wish you loads more success and hopefully some day we could trade some secret to success stories. All the best man.
  9. EF-Roger

EF-Roger Entrepreneur

Outstanding stories! Thanks for sharing.
  10. Valsthrivers

Valsthrivers Business Owner Entrepreneur

Wow, this is a great story. Great advice! I have owned a business for 30 years. Pregnancies, a handicapped child and staffing issues have forced me to rebuild my business many times. It's not the falling down that is important. It's the getting back up and setting new goals that keeps you moving forward. My failures simply paved the way for my success.
  11. Apolloniac

Apolloniac Entrepreneur

Good to hear my friend you really made fire from those coal! Your grandma was really wise to advice you and I'm glad to hear you've helped a lot of companies along the way. Looking forward to hear about your company in the future.
  12. Nantchev

Nantchev Entrepreneur

13. davide strina

davide strina Entrepreneur

what's your story kathryn? I am curious about you. would you like to tell me and the other something about your business??
  14. pwarbi

pwarbi Entrepreneur

I think a lot of people that own their own business will have a similar story, especially were school and other jobs are concerned. I myself was also kicked out of school at 15 with no qualifications also and was drifting from one dead end job to the next before I managed to own the business I do now.

At the end of the day, if you don't like taking orders then there's only one thing to do, be your own boss.
  15. Scooby Snack

Scooby Snack Entrepreneur

I'm so glad I read this. I'm in a tough spot right now, have been an actor for a long time, and have actually managed to make a good living at it (broke six figure gross in 2014), but it's too unpredictable. I enjoy it, but it's been the primary focus of my life and it's really taking its toll. I feel like I'm at a crossroads, and it's do or die, and I have no choice but to stop hoping for "breaking through" and start focusing on doing for myself and creating the life I want.

I LOVE stories about people coming up from the gutter, and I wish there were more of these out there. Really gets the motor going.

Many thanks.

Featured Businesses (View All)