EntrepreneurFix Is a Free Entrepreneur, Business and Start Up Forum

Connect With Other Entrepreneurs Online Today!
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Four Hour Workweek. Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Starting Your Startup' started by Scooby Snack, Jan 28, 2016.

1. Scooby Snack

Scooby Snack Entrepreneur

So the other day I purchased Trump's The Art of the Deal and Ferris' Four Hour Workweek (i enjoyed his book Four Hour Body). So far it seems pretty interesting and extraordinary, if a bit more circular than I'd like.

Has anyone else here found value in this book, or have I wasted my money? Ferris seems to be making some pretty extraordinary claims about Life-style Design and whatnot.

2. T J Tutor

T J Tutor Administrator Entrepreneur

Trumps book is from the 80's and Ferris book from 2007. Both are good books, but you will find that they are a little out of step for 2016. There are still plenty of golden nuggets in them both.
    Palva likes this.
  3. azgold

azgold Moderator Entrepreneur

I read an absolutely scathing article about Tim Ferris, slamming him personally and discrediting his book. I haven't read it myself but the review was so hateful that it made me want to, out of curiosity. :)

Donald Trump makes me want to go grab a brush and a can of hairspray. Haven't read that tome, either. I think he's a biz man through and through, so I'm sure there must be some good info in there. He wrote more than one book, didn't he?
  4. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Entrepreneur

I haven't read neither of the two books yet. I'm not so sure if I would ever buy a book written by Donald Trump. I know he's a good entrepreneur, not to mention a successful one, but I really couldn't stand him.
  5. sar777

sar777 Entrepreneur

I have read Ferris' book, and I agree some of the methods will be outdated, but while an actual 4-hour workweek is not easily attainable (and let's be honest, anyone who is a successful enough entrepreneur to have the resources to implement his methods won't be happy with a 4-hour workweek anyway!)

But some of the points about realizing the value of your time and skills versus spending money to have someone else do "lesser" tasks (for lack of a better word), and also setting up processes and systems that don't require extensive monitoring and hand holding are all really good lessons and things that should be and need to be implemented in order for a company to really succeed.
    T J Tutor likes this.
  6. Marketer

Marketer Entrepreneur

I haven't read either book. I get the idea though from the previous posts. I would think a book about business by Donald Trump, even an older one, would probably have some gold gems inside. I personally would never buy one anyway. I would be able to hear the arrogance in his voice as I was reading it. There are other sources for great information.

The Ferris book about the 4-hour workweek sounds like a book for after you have reached some success. New business ventures require a lot of time. I mean pretty much every waking moment and the excitement will even overtake your dreams.

Unless you are starting out with a great amount of money to spend upfront you won't be hiring anyone to do the little things for awhile. However it is important to hire experts. If you don't understand the legal aspects of your business get a lawyer. If you are horrible with or hate bookkeeping, get a bookkeeper or accountant as soon as possible. You can't be good at everything and get help in those areas you where you need help.

As time goes by and you do have the funding, of course, get rid of the jobs that take you away from your real position. You have created the business and you have the ideas. You are in control and you should be the boss. I can't see how anyone can lose that control though by not being in the middle of it. If it is your dream and your passion you will be there anyway.
  7. swalia

swalia Entrepreneur

I have heard a lot of praise for 'Four hours Work Week'. Many famous bloggers recommend reading this book. I haven't read this book yet but it's on my wishlist. The idea sounds very appealing though I don't know if it's feasible to actually have four hours work week. It may be possible after you get a bit successful but initially everything takes a lot of hard work.
  8. 111kg

111kg Entrepreneur

Tim recommends dropshipping, but this is a thing that anyone could have run in...2006-2007. Nowadays, there are tons of people doing the same thing and not everyone is successful. However, there is a lot of good advice in that book, even if his main method of making money isn't as appliable as it used to be. You can check his youtube channel as well, tons of golden nuggets.
  9. djentre

djentre Entrepreneur

I have read good and bad things about the book. Personally, I don't think his book is all that great, because that's basically every guy's story. As someone already mentioned, Ferris is not exactly popular in certain circles, mainly because his book's success is the result of excess marketing and not because of great content. Having profited a ton in the past by writing not-so-real reviews myself, I can tell you that Ferris paid his way to bestseller status. So, in my books, he's as shrewd as an entrepreneur should be, and he did what he had to. His book is legendary now, because he worked hard.
  10. bria1

bria1 Entrepreneur

Trump is arrogant for a reason..but he was already in the elite class as a kid..so he didn't really struggle to the top. I would maybe read the book for some tips..but he could not really speak to my situation because I was not born with a silver spoon. He already had the resources and the contacts to make his dreams a reality. The other book I never have read..I have seen this title before and since you spoke so highly of it...I may check it out.
  11. Vinaya.Ghimire

Vinaya.Ghimire Entrepreneur

sadly, I am not aware about both of these books. Not just the titles, even the authors are strange to me. Can you share more about the book so that I can make up my mind whether I should buy this book or not.
  12. rz3300

rz3300 Entrepreneur

I have heard that it is the natural move for an advanced economy, in its move to a service economy, to see more flexibility when it comes to mattes like this, but then I always remember that history is not that long and things change, so I am not sure. I actually think that it might not be a good idea but I really do not have any data or any sources or anything, but I would be interested to see someone who could point me in that direction.
  13. ctfranklin28

ctfranklin28 Entrepreneur

There is a lot of value in the book, but it doesn't lie in the marketing hype (only working 4 hours a week while you make millions doing weird and crazy stuff). The value comes in challenging the "unwritten rules of entrepreneurship". These rules include:
    1. You have to work 100+ hours per week to be a success
    2. You need to handle every aspect of your business to make it a success

The hype, though, is very seductive. Reading through the book, a reader can easily fall into the idea that all you need to do is create a product, get some VAs and let the money roll in. Real entrepreneurship is more complicated and lot less clearcut as that.
  14. Pop

Pop Entrepreneur

I guess its a nice idea. but I would rather work on something I enjoy than focus on just working less. As the old saying goes "if you enjoy your job you'll never work a day in your life".

As for Trump, if I had started out with millions maybe I would have a billion by now too. Who knows.
  15. ctfranklin28

ctfranklin28 Entrepreneur

My viewpoint on "never working a day in your life" has changed. I used to believe that, but no longer.

First, there is no job that you will ever do that you will enjoy every day of your life. There is always something on a job (or someone) that gets on your nerves.

Second, work is work. It's not designed to be "all pleasure" (otherwise it is just play). You should feel tired, mentally and physically from work. You should feel that your perspiration is going somewhere.

So, I believe you should work for a job that is satisfying, pays well, and contributes to the world. I don't think you should look for a job that "doesn't feel like work".

One book that matches that philosophy is "Born For This" by Chris Guillebeau.
  16. Pop

Pop Entrepreneur

Well, um, I found that job and have been doing it for nine years now. So it is a philosophy that has worked just fine for me :)
    ctfranklin28 likes this.
  17. djentre

djentre Entrepreneur

I totally agree. I went all "Passive" for a while, or as passive as I could get. Brainwashed by The Four Hour Work week, Rich Dad Poor Dad, Cashflow quadrant, etc etc. I can tell you that working less may seem desirable, but it gets old REALLY FAST. Also, the moment you go passive or automate something, you'll realize that you are not growing in life.

Today's world is not such that you could leave the world for a year or two, and then make a comeback. Once you're out or you lose your momentum, you'll have a hard time making a comeback. So, always stay active. Don't get sold-- the 4 hour work week is not healthy. That's not what made Steve Jobs "Steve Jobs". He could have simply sold his Apple shares and lived on the interest, but he didn't, no one does.
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2016
    T J Tutor and ctfranklin28 like this.
  18. ruener79

ruener79 Entrepreneur

I have never personally read the two books either. I only scan through the book of Timothy Ferriss. Admittedly, the 4-hour workweek has its allure. Who would not want to be doing the things for pleasure, and just work on a few hours? Perhaps, he was lucky to have found the right business for him and he puts full trust on other people to do it for him. In the real sense, for the hours that he wasn't doing things, somebody else was and is getting paid for it. Like I said in the beginning, this sounds like fun - but where's the growth here? If you don't focus on your business, how are you able to make better judgments for your business? Credit to your VAs, I suppose?

Featured Businesses (View All)