EntrepreneurFix Is a Free Entrepreneur, Business and Start Up Forum

Connect With Other Entrepreneurs Online Today!
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Employees for a Online Startup

Discussion in 'Employment and Human Resources' started by Kia Adams, Feb 26, 2016.

1. Kia Adams

Kia Adams Entrepreneur

I am planning to create a new startup designed to ship fancy dresses and clothes to people. How many people should I hire for such a startup? The most pivotal departments for my startup would be sales and marketing as I have the strong conviction that promotion is the stepping stone to real success in any kind of online business.

2. Nikita

Nikita Entrepreneur

If it were me I'd hire only the minimum amount of employees to start because it's already difficult enough to get a business off the ground without having to worry about salaries and all other responsibilities that come with hiring employees. I'd say maybe just one or two could be a good start and if you need more you could just seek it out as it's much easier to add than to let go of extras.
  3. remnant

remnant Entrepreneur

The number of employees you should hire will depend with the magnitude of your investment. I strongly believe that marketing is not a concern as long as your products are saleable. As the business owner, you are employee number one. You require to be in the know with regard to production issues as well as market intelligence.
  4. onlinecashcity

onlinecashcity Entrepreneur

Depends on where you are with your investment/idea. And how you're going to run things. Better to underestimate than overestimate so try to get the bare minimum number and see how things work out.
  5. T J Tutor

T J Tutor Administrator Entrepreneur

You can only determine the required staffing and employment needs by developing the business model first.

Are you simply shipping dresses, or are you manufacturing them or buying them for resale. You haven't supplied enough data to establish a value for employees and staff.
  6. jona

jona Entrepreneur

Maybe you should be looking for business partners with those skills that could be willing to go along the ride sharing the investment and time with you. You will have to split the profit but also split the risk.
  7. djentre

djentre Entrepreneur

In the beginning, you shouldn't hire anyone. We don't know what kind of orders will come in. First, find out what your weaknesses are, and find people who can make sure that those weaknesses get plugged. Find people who can complement you. A lot of times, if you're a technical person, you would need someone who can help with marketing and so on. First you need to determine your own role, and your own weaknesses. Then, you can think about staffing.

Also, in the beginning I would hire short term freelancers instead of hiring someone full time.

Featured Businesses (View All)