EntrepreneurFix Is a Free Entrepreneur, Business and Start Up Forum

Connect With Other Entrepreneurs Online Today!
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Dont know were to start.

Discussion in 'Starting Your Startup' started by James Fresh, Jan 25, 2016.

1. James Fresh

James Fresh Entrepreneur

So i am getting a Personal Trainer Certificate, but i dont want to work as a PT For years.. Just looking at this as a way to getting Economic freedom. I love working out and nutrition and such.. But i can't see myself training people for years..

So i have been thinking about starting a Supplement brand, and creating books etc.

I dont know were i should start when it comes to creating my own supplements.. I recently bought the Domain Gainsfitness.com which seems to be a great name for my website.

What i am wondering about is were i can start when it comes to creating my product, can i manufacture it at home, and then contact distributors.. Were can i find a mass producing facility or some sort that use my ingredients and create the product etc?
    K likes this.

2. Rohit Shrivastava

Rohit Shrivastava Entrepreneur

Weird idea - put on 200 pounds and loose them put a YouTube video about it - that way you build credibility and then use that for sales of your own product.

Get 10 to 100 people unhealthy people and chart out a plan get them all in shape !! Free at No Charge !!

Use that as promotional video and seek your supplements !!

I won't give advice - but I need to see people getting healthier !! I will go with the second option if I were in your shoes - but I am not in your shoes !!

3. sar777

sar777 Entrepreneur

First question is, do you have nutritional knowledge and education when it comes to creating a supplement? You may want to start out by finding supplements you particularly like and sell them as an affiliate or referral basis. That way, especially with a start-up, you are not overextending yourself with regard to the amount you'd need to really get a brand going. When you are ready to create your own supplement keep in mind you will need to consider not only where to get the supplement manufactured, but you'll have the expense of the branding, the packaging, distribution and storage.

Start building credibility by using your website and potentially a YouTube channel to give valuable information to your target audience. Blogging, article writing and video posting - but know it will take some time to gain traction. Definitely utilize your network which will help move things along.

I've worked with a number of internet start-ups similar to your own, and it's doable as long as you don't spread yourself too thin at the beginning, put together a strategic plan and goal benchmarks early in order to keep yourself on track and make it easy to measure what is working and what is not.

Happy to work with you if you need a coach to get you headed in the right direction.
  4. bria1

bria1 Entrepreneur

I would also add it has been my experience that showing your own success stories keeps readers coming for more. Everyone loves a good story and one that is tragic that turns into triumph should most definitely bring much traffic and keep them coming back to check on the progression.
  5. onlinecashcity

onlinecashcity Entrepreneur

I would be more concerned about distributing supplements you make at home without it being cleared by health organizations and stuff. Idk if I would buy supplements from an unestablished source, even if you are a personal trainer or not. Not sure about the repercussions of that one.

For fitness, a YouTube channel seems okay, but it's very saturated so it might be slow.

I might suggest writing an ebook. It's pretty simply and there are a lot of tutorials online. You can even release parts of it piece by piece, maybe a fitness guide, where the first book is nutrition, second is supplements, third is exercise, fourth is mental health, etc. Release them in intervals so the next one is sort of hyped.
  6. ctfranklin28

ctfranklin28 Entrepreneur

One, I would not create this at home. Supplements need to be created in regulated and controlled environments.

Second, focus on clarifying where you want to go. You have figured out what you don't want to do. Now you need a vision for what you do want to do. Research your ideas. Ask people. If you want to start a supplement company, look up companies and see which ones that you can see yourself running. Research everything you can about them.

Third, refine your goals. use what you find to get a better idea of what you do want to do.

Fourth, get a mentor (either in person or vicariously) to provide a path for what you want to do.
  7. jona

jona Entrepreneur

The FDA regulations regarding dietary supplements are a little laxer than those that deal with food, but this is an operation that you simply can't mount from your own home. You are opening yourself to all kinds of liabilities and problems.

When you see athletes coming up with supplements of their own I am sure that these are companies that existed to begin with and just contacted them to serve as the image of the product.

I would advice you to first make a name for yourself, perhaps via YouTube so you can showcase your knowledge, gather a following and the companies will knock at your door for you to launch supplements of your own.
  8. Nikita

Nikita Entrepreneur

I'm not an expert but I have heard some conversations about this in the past and I heard it took a lot of money to market this type of product, though like all other businesses it's not impossible if you are good or lucky. First you probably would want to seek out a manufacturer, most likely the same as most other supplement suppliers where everyone else gets theirs. From what I understand you could just show up, get a mix made, and order it and get it within a few weeks, but marketing it and getting stores to put it on their shelves over other more popular brands might be where it gets difficult.
  9. ruener79

ruener79 Entrepreneur

I'd probably shelve the idea of making your own supplements for later. I think it's best that if you venture into this, you need to have the professional knowledge to go about manufacturing the product. What you're thinking requires a lot of research and product testing before you can make things available in the market. So, yeah I concur with those who suggested to make yourself a BRAND first. Hone your skill as a PT. Find ways to differentiate yourself from the many Personal Trainers out there. Think of what you can offer differently from the competitors. Once you got that figured out, things such as making videos should just come naturally; with you as the product/brand.
  10. remnant

remnant Entrepreneur

For you to find the answers to this raft of questions the best place to start is crafting a business plan. Formats are available online and you can even outsource it from Fiverr for 5$. From here, you will be able to connect the dots. You will be able to view your idea at a glance including logistics, financing, strengths and weaknesses. Meanwhile you can make some good income from Google adsense by starting a blog in your area of expertise as you go through the motions of setting up your business.
  11. Corazon

Corazon Entrepreneur

You are like my husband who has plans of creating his own food supplement. I agree that it is very profitable especially when the efficacy of the supplement is evident. I had been taking herbal tea for 10 years now and it is effective for controlling kidney stones. It is my husband's own concoction of several leaves of trees and plants. He can make money with that.

However, first step is to register a company with the department of trade or Securities and Exchange. Second step is to register the brand of the supplement with the Food and Drug. Inside those registrations are some other procedures like clearances from the local community government, mayor's permit, taxation requirements by the internal revenue and some other paper works. And with the supplement, it's not that easy to get approval because you have to show proof of efficacy...somehow.
  12. Nancy

Nancy Entrepreneur

I think you have already started! You have a domain and ideas The next step is to research your ideas and find out how to make them happen. As you move along and acquire knowledge you will see your path. I look forward to hearing more about your journey as it unfolds!!

Featured Businesses (View All)