EntrepreneurFix Is a Free Entrepreneur, Business and Start Up Forum

Connect With Other Entrepreneurs Online Today!
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Do you invest in yourself?

Discussion in 'Investments' started by K, Sep 18, 2015.

1. K

K Administrator Business Owner Entrepreneur

Who here invests in themselves?

For example do you have a pension? Saving accounts etc?
    setupdisc likes this.

2. Steve Dawson

Steve Dawson Entrepreneur

I wish I could say I did, unfortunately I'm the wrong side of 40 without any kind of provision for retirement. Its probably just as well as I can't really see myself giving up work and sitting around the house all day. I think the concept of a traditional retirement is beyond the means of many average earners these days and longer working lifetimes are likely to become the norm rather than the exception in the future for many of us.
    setupdisc likes this.
  3. 111kg

111kg Entrepreneur

In my opinion, investing in yourself involves a totally different thing, such as learning new skills, buying better tools or better food, learning and reading better books.

As for the money, yes, I do. I've been investing 10% of my income in a bonds fund for quite a while now. The returns are pretty low (4%), but at least they are higher than the interest of the banks..
    davide strina and setupdisc like this.
  4. EF-Roger

EF-Roger Entrepreneur

ow skills, buying better tools or better food, learning and reading better books.

As for the money, yes, I do. I've been investing 10% of my income in a bonds fund for quite a while now. The returns are pretty low (4%), but at least they are higher than the interest of the banks..[/QUOTE]

Your first paragraph is the way I view it Many years ago savings was a good thing Now interests rates pay so little that it is not worth the effort.
    setupdisc likes this.
  5. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Entrepreneur

I have a savings account. However, I don't get any interest from it. It just merely functions as a savings account. But yeah, I really believe I should start investing in myself. You never know what's going to happen tomorrow, so it's better to be financially prepared for anything.
    davide strina and setupdisc like this.
  6. William Clements

William Clements Moderator Business Owner Entrepreneur

Interest nowadays are at a all time low. However, interest rates from barrowing money from a bank (loan) are at a all time high.
  7. pwarbi

pwarbi Entrepreneur

At the moment I have a private pension aswell as a current and saving account so you could say I'm more prepared than most in regards to money.

These days times are hard for most people and I don't see the situation changing any time soon unfortunately so if you can put money aside for a rainy day or your retirement then I think you need to do so.
  8. loverman99

loverman99 Entrepreneur

Definitely. But it's more in a broad sense. I always look for things about myself that I should improve. To me, this is the exact concept of investing in yourself. Skills development and stuff.

ps: yep, I do save up money for my pension
  9. Vinaya.Ghimire

Vinaya.Ghimire Entrepreneur

I invest in myself. I have a saving account where I deposit some percent of my income every month. I also have life insurance policy and I pay my premium every year.
    davide strina likes this.
  10. djentre

djentre Entrepreneur

Before I took a business loan, the lender made me buy LI which I did not have, at least not that much. Its pledged to him, so if something happens to me, he gets a bite out of that. N yeah after failing multiple times, you realize how important saving money is, so I literally put away money everyday!
  11. setupdisc

setupdisc Moderator Entrepreneur

Hi there K,

I try to invest in myself as much as I can to where I can build residuals on those investments later. What I struggle with a lot of the time is being too good-hearted on things to where I often pull money that I've invested in myself out to help others. Not too much, but enough to where it takes away from my overall success even though it covers philanthropy and being a good friend and supportive to others in excess. It's one of my greatest challenges to date, and I think it may have to do with the fact that when I was growing up I wasn't allowed to have many things and know what it's like to be without.

Once I was able to make enough to where I could live a comfortable lifestyle and beyond, I felt that investing in myself was important, but investing in others to be able to get out of where they are if down and out and have a chance to be where I am or beyond was even more important. So I still invest in myself, but I tend to make distributed microinvestments to others that I've known for years and trust and their family to help them come up on the little things instead of myself.

There are times I've been taken advantage of for it, and I've promptly cut those people off in which they learned their lesson to do that I would hope. For the people who were sincere, I still help them whenever I can. I really should be investing more in myself than not with how the economy is, but I care enough about other people still to the extent that I don't allow myself to be wealthy materially but impoverished other ways to do so.

It is possible to be rich and poor at the same time, based on what you have to do to become either one.
  12. pwarbi

pwarbi Entrepreneur

Investing in yourself emotionally aswell as financially is something that's important aswell. There's no point in saving every penny for the future and making sure your financially secure in the future, if your not enjoying life itself.

Being happy is something that a lot of people don't have time to do, yet it's the most important decision we can make in life.
    setupdisc likes this.
  13. bria1

bria1 Entrepreneur

Yes I invest time and energy everyday to further my success in the future. I have a personal and business savings account that I try not to touch...ever. My husband and I are small business owners and we know a thing or two about investing in your self....after all it takes money to make money. If you want someone to take an interest in investing in you, you have to show them you have and always will invest in yourself first. There is nothing better than showing the world how serious you are about something when you drop big bucks to make "it" happen.
    setupdisc likes this.
  14. Trixen

Trixen Entrepreneur

I admit, I have invested in Mutual Fund and other business but I still don't have a Life Insurance. I am planning on getting Traditional Life Insurance. Health is the most important investment one should have. I was too caught up in trying to earn more that I have forgotten to look after myself. Thank you for this reminder, though.
    setupdisc likes this.
  15. Federico.Gimeno

Federico.Gimeno Entrepreneur

I agree with everyone. Investing in oneself is often forgotten due to the pace of modern life. Health investment, as other have said already, is a good way to invest in yourself. Investing in vacations / things that you like is another way to keep you happy or to prize yourself for your achievements.
    setupdisc likes this.
  16. Kaia

Kaia Entrepreneur

I do invest in myself. I have savings and a SEP IRA. I do have a 401K from my employment that still has a nice balance. I also invest in myself by increasing my knowledge of sales,marketing and management. I attend seminars and read several business and self improvement (success) books a year. I especially like to read New Thought books that were published in the early 1900's.
  17. Corazon

Corazon Entrepreneur

Aside from my personal savings in my special bank account, my other investment is the retirement plan of our company. For an retiring employee with at least 20 years of service is qualified to receive 2 months of salary for every year of service. In my case, I would be retiring with 30 years of service so I would be getting 60 months of my salary. That is equivalent to 5 years of my salary and that's quite a huge amount for us.
  18. ReadmeByAmy

ReadmeByAmy Entrepreneur

I am trying to save a little amount of money monthly in a bank that I can use in case of emergency needs. While we are still young and capable of working we should already invest for the future.
  19. blenly

blenly Entrepreneur

So far I've been able to invest in to a savings account. I have been trying my best to use up my whole Cash ISA (UK) allowance but I never get anywhere near. I'm just going to keep saving that way until I have enough to start making some worthwhile investments.
  20. Bonyi

Bonyi Entrepreneur

Yes I invest in myself. Investing in your personality is vital. You can help and bless others by the investment in your person. You cannot give what you don't have. You can only give what you have on your inside.

Featured Businesses (View All)