EntrepreneurFix Is a Free Entrepreneur, Business and Start Up Forum

Connect With Other Entrepreneurs Online Today!
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Copy Terms and Conditions From Another Site?

Discussion in 'Legal Advice and Help' started by Twista Tom, Sep 3, 2015.

1. Twista Tom

Twista Tom Entrepreneur

This is a quick question about what can be written in terms and conditions, privacy policy and cookie policies. I'm assuming the privacy policy and cookies policy will normally be the exactly the same from site to another right? Therefore, a pre-made template for this would be much better for us.

The one we're more concerned about terms and conditions as alot of websites vary if how they function so the terms and conditions would vary too? Can we literally add next to anything within this?

2. Sebastian Fisher

Sebastian Fisher Entrepreneur

As far you said, as long as it's not copied line by line, It seem zero harm in using it as a guide and 'inspiration' by setting out your own.

You must be careful though that what you produce doesn't duplicate any (legal) mistakes!
  3. Pop

Pop Entrepreneur

Yeah but it would be copied line by line. Because a legally binding document is not the sort of thing you paraphrased because words have every specific meanings under the law. I see websites and even publishers do this all the time, often they accidentally leave in the name or other identifying features of the site the stole it from. Other times it is distinctive enough that you can Google and find who they stole it from. IMHO that makes the person who lifted the content look cheap and not very competent.

If you are posting any document you plan to be legally bound or protected by, you need to source it appropriately. For common issues like cookies disclosure, copyright, and FTC compliance statements there are plenty of reputable sites (e.g. government, university etc) that will explain what the statement needs to say and that are totally free.
  4. Jade

Jade Entrepreneur

I'm sure you can find a template online and reading to help. I wouldn't advise copying anything for any reason.
  5. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Entrepreneur

I think it is just fine to copy "terms and conditions" from another website. If you think you are somehow violating copyright, you can just probably paraphrase the text. Anyway, no one really gives so much attention on terms and conditions in the first place.
  6. MandyMarieB

MandyMarieB Entrepreneur

I'm sure there are websites that supply different templates for free use. I would personally feel safer taking from there, rather than going to some site I frequent and taking theirs. :) Plus, your terms and conditions are meant to be a sort of agreement between you and whoever is reading/agreeing to them. So it's probably better to make sure they are your own/not a DIRECT copy.

Did a quick Google search, here are a few things I found!

Shopify Tools -- Terms Generator
    Sample Terms and Conditions Template -- Terms Breakdown
    Website Standard Terms and Conditions Template | Free Website Standard Terms and Conditions Template Forms -- Sample/Templates
  7. pwarbi

pwarbi Entrepreneur

I'd also be surprised if the terms and conditions of a site aren't just copied straight over to another also as like people have said, the basic rules very rarely change from one site to another.

They may differ slightly depending on the content of the site and what market it's aimed at but there will only be subtle differences.
  8. Kathryn M.

Kathryn M. Entrepreneur

It's definitely best to write your own Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy for your own website. That way it applies to your actual website. Copying from a similar website will not cover/insure your whole website, only a portion of it. Each of my websites have their own policies, regardless if they are similar.

Here is where I make mine for free:

Free Privacy Policy
    Free Terms and Conditions
  9. AlyssaPatterson

AlyssaPatterson Entrepreneur

Unique content is required for every website and each page. You can take ideas from the other website but could not copy and paste.
  10. azgold

azgold Moderator Entrepreneur

There are privacy policy and TOS generators online. They insert your website into the copy.

Featured Businesses (View All)