EntrepreneurFix Is a Free Entrepreneur, Business and Start Up Forum

Connect With Other Entrepreneurs Online Today!
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Apple ordered to pay $234 million over patent infringement claim

Discussion in 'Employment and Human Resources' started by EF-Roger, Oct 17, 2015.

1. EF-Roger

EF-Roger Entrepreneur

Apple has been ordered by a court to pay $234 million to the Wisconsin Alumni Research Foundation (WARF) after losing a patent infringement case filed by the group in 2014.

The patent (U.S. Patent No. 5,781,752) related to an invention that increases the speed and efficiency of computer processing. Although the damages are significant, they are much less than the $862 million some reports earlier this week indicated Apple might have to pay in the event of a legal defeat.

Read more http://mashable.com/2015/10/17/apple-234-million-patent-infringement/#McHzjWobIgqS

2. Kathryn M.

Kathryn M. Entrepreneur

Does this mean Apple will have to pull the gadgets that contain this patent infringing computer chip, or is that what the monetary compensation was for? Apple plans to appeal, but I think this is a done deal.
  3. Jade

Jade Entrepreneur

Patents are so vague now it's so stupid.

I'm going to make a patent for "writing text on a computer-based system" and make millions.
  4. Pop

Pop Entrepreneur

This was not some vague patent, it was a specific chip design (high efficiency design using a predictor circuit) that that university professor Guri Sohi and his student devoted decades of their lives to developing, with a lot of indirect taxpayer support, and then had to pursue a lawsuit for a year.

Hardly a bunch of slackers. Good on them. Intel and Apple both knew they had stolen that design. The money will go mostly to the Wisconsin Alumni Research Foundation and will be used for the public good.
  5. Jade

Jade Entrepreneur

I stand corrected. Thanks for the info
  6. Kathryn M.

Kathryn M. Entrepreneur

Wow. Did Apple steal the chip before or after Steve Jobs passed away?

I was on Apple's website last week looking at the new Macbook Pro and was shocked to see that NONE of their latest computer designs come with a CD Rom. I like to watch DVD's on my laptop while in bed or on a plane.

Some commenters stated a DVD slot is outdated and no longer needed since everything is in electronic file formats now. Others stated it was just Apple's way of getting people to buy movies and tv shows from the Apple store.

Either way, I have had my nose turned up at Apple for charging $1299 for a 13 inch MBP without all the features such as a CD slot. I"m wondering if a lot of these decisions were Steve's ideas that the new CEO is carrying out, or if these are the new CEO's bad ideas.
  7. harpazo22

harpazo22 Entrepreneur

Wow that's a lot of money. That doesn't look so good for the company. I'd like to know more information on this.
  8. nailah783

nailah783 Entrepreneur

Apple will bounce back from this. The company is worth a lot more money than this. It's like a drop in the bucket for them, but I'm sure that other company needed the money a little more than they did. I do wonder if they will have to pull all of the chips that were used. That might be a disaster for them because that would be a lot of bad publicity.
  9. T J Tutor

T J Tutor Administrator Entrepreneur

This crap goes on everyday, it's just the tip of the iceberg. It's a dog eat dog world out there and the bigger the dog, the bigger the bite!
  10. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Entrepreneur

I am definitely feeling sorry for Apple right now. However, they are a huge company, and yes, it maybe a big amount of money to pay, but I am pretty sure it will not affect them that much.
  11. setupdisc

setupdisc Moderator Entrepreneur

For Apple, that would be about $23.40 or $234.00 on average. They have billions upon billions, but it's never fun to lose out like that (especially on a trivial patent interpretation).

I was going to call it something else, but anymore it's as stated above because it really is interpretation rather than anything else with how they go about it now.

I'm pretty sure Apple has already recovered from this since last October just with the iPhone 6 sales and daily business.

Featured Businesses (View All)