EntrepreneurFix Is a Free Entrepreneur, Business and Start Up Forum

Connect With Other Entrepreneurs Online Today!
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Always firefighting in my business

Discussion in 'General Business and Entrepreneurship' started by Nitin Mayor, Jul 4, 2016.

1. Nitin Mayor

Nitin Mayor Entrepreneur

Hi guys,

Just joined this new group and very excited to be a part of it!

One of the biggest problems that I have had in my business of 5 years is that I have noticed we are always firefighting. There is no clarity of what we are doing and where we are going. No one in my business sits down and plans anything and every day comes and goes and we don't feel like I've achieved anything.

I would like your help in helping me knowing how I can devise a strategy for the business with clear set targets that I can give to myself and my team and then we all work to achieving those goals. I look forward to hearing from you guys soon!

Nitin Mayor

2. VirtualGlobalPhone

VirtualGlobalPhone Moderator Entrepreneur

Welcome to entrepreneurfix @Nitin Mayor .

Business without a goal .. will tend to take anywhere, where money flows. See if you can have a major goal first fixed and then many smaller goal to reach the bigger one. Put the whole team achieving these goals. Rest of the things should take its shape without much involvement...
  3. arungoyal

arungoyal Entrepreneur

Its a serious problem when you don't know what is happening with your own business. In my opinion your must concentrate on Planning. Set us some goal to achieve in a certain time period because if you haven't planned it means you have already planned for failure.

Understand your services, Target Audience and how they are finding these services and how you can be there..
    VirtualGlobalPhone likes this.
  4. Amir Campbell

Amir Campbell Entrepreneur

Hey Brother,

I would recommend a couple of actions:

1. Go back to your mission statement. Review your current business practices through that lense and see how well you stack up. If you're not working from the mission statement, then switch your focus back to that. Alternately, if you need to change the mission statement, do so.

2. Identify precisely in what areas your busienss is not performing as well as like. Once you have a idea, have your people help you come up with possible solutions to fix these areas. Let them go crazy and allow them to unleash thir creativity, and take the ideas that are the most cost effectuve to implement and trun them into action plans.

3. Incentiize your employees! People are much more liekly to take action when they have soem sort of incentive. Read Robert Cialdini's book "influence: to get some amazing insight into human buying and action-taking psychology.

Hope this helps brother!

Amir Campbell
  5. tonyp

tonyp Entrepreneur

Resolving problems is always going to part of the entrepreneurial journey, however if your day is continually being taken up with fighting fires you need to step back and review your Business Plan.

You will also need to ask yourself several questions:

• Is the business progress in line with the Business Plan and particularly the Growth Plan?
    • Are the problems related to back office issues or are they impacting on the sales of product?
    • Are these problems apparent to your customers?
    • Do the staff understand the situation in the same light as you do?

Answering these 4 questions should provide you with an understanding of whether your problems are arising from external influences or is your business just lacking basic procedures and operating policies.

1. Define and list the problems - get to grips with what each problem is, how it is being identified - in other words how do you find out about the problem?
    2. Establish the impact these problems have on your bottom line - gut feel is also OK if the calculation is too complicated
    3. Are the problems recurring or are they new ones each time? This will help in pin pointing where the cause of the problems lie, either external or with employees.
    4. Make sure you are not the problem!!!!!
    Once you have a clear understanding of the root causes of your "fires" are you will need to devise a corrective plan, permanent fixes is what you are looking for, not band aid fixes.

Involve your staff - this is dependent on the number and their involvement in the causes of the problem. Diverting non involved staff in problem resolution is a waste of their time.

Once you devise the remedies, implement and then amend your company procedures. If you don't have any, get them drafted urgently and get all employees to acknowledge and accept them.

Hope this is of some help
    VirtualGlobalPhone likes this.

Featured Businesses (View All)