EntrepreneurFix Is a Free Entrepreneur, Business and Start Up Forum

Connect With Other Entrepreneurs Online Today!
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Advice For Selling Overseas

Discussion in 'Sales, Marketing and PR' started by Nikita, Feb 5, 2016.

1. Nikita

Nikita Entrepreneur

I am thinking of selling shoes overseas from Asia for some side income and I'm hoping to get some advice here.

I am mostly just looking to make this as a sort of hobby and what I am aiming for is to maybe ship out about just 10 items a month on average to start, and I'm looking to sell to people in the U.S. Primarily and I'd like to ask if there is anything in particular I should watch out for.

As I am not going to be selling a lot of items, I am guessing that I don't necessarily have to register a business yet and maybe I could just ship them as personal items for now.

Does anyone here have some experience with shipping shoes overseas regularly and would you have any tips to share? I am mostly worried about the taxes or additional charges as these packages are fairly big especially if I ship them with the shoe boxes included.

2. Jack Benoit

Jack Benoit Entrepreneur

Yоur likеlihооd оf suссеss sеlling intеrnаtiоnаlly will bе inсrеаsеd dеpеnding upоn hоw muсh mаrkеt rеsеаrсh yоu соnduсt bеfоrеhаnd. Mаrkеt rеsеаrсh саn hеlp yоu gеt а hаndlе оn whеrе yоur gооds оr sеrviсеs will sеll, thе diffеrеnt mаrkеt sеgmеnts, whеthеr yоu'll hаvе соmpеtitоrs, аnd hоw tо priсе yоur prоduсt fоr thе mаrkеt. Fоrtunаtеly, thеrе аrе mаny соnsultаnts, gоvеrnmеnt аgеnсiеs, bооks аnd frее rеsоurсеs оn thе Intеrnеt thаt саn hеlp
  3. pwarbi

pwarbi Entrepreneur

If you're not going to be selling a lot of items like you say, then have you not just thought about opening an eBay account for now and try and sell the items that way?

It's not a business as such (but it can be in the future) and it will get you used to selling abroad. A lot of the time the best way to find things out is by actually doing then, and learning through experience.
  4. Lynda

Lynda Entrepreneur

As @pwarbi says, if you're selling mainly to the US, then you could open an etsy shop or ebay store to sell that way initially. Etsy usually does handmade goods, but they have a user base who are willing to buy unusual goods from abroad so they may work for you. I don't know where you are based, so I can't really advise on whether it would count as a business.

Custom values are based on the value of the product, not the size of the box, and whether it was a gift. Seriously, if you're selling internationally, watch out for customs fees. Some countries have incredibly strict limits and high tariffs, for example I seem to remember Brazil was one, and customers from those countries tend to ask for it to be shipped as a gift "for a friend" so they don't pay it. For a while that was going on in video games exports, and there was a serious clamp-down that hit several sellers, so watch for that. If you are selling to the US, check the rules where you are.

Customers might also get annoyed at the shipping time, as unless they pay for airmail which is expensive, the shipping time from parts of Asia to the US can be in weeks. Unless these are custom-made goods, is it worth making an arrangement with a US distributor (read a friend who lives there) to keep stock for you and ship them on request?
  5. Corazon

Corazon Entrepreneur

In 1992, my parents-in-law migrated to the US. After a year, when my father-in-law had a stable job, they were sending a big box of goods to their children here. And after sometime, my sister-in-law had made it a business. She sells here what her parents send her from the US. American goods are expensive in the Philippines so you can expect a good return and big profit. They were doing that underground business since 1995 until 2008 from what I remember. That business was not registered since my sister-in-law sells the goods only to her circle.
  6. T J Tutor

T J Tutor Administrator Entrepreneur

I recommend putting your own site together as an ecommerce site and load it up with products as an affiliate for the shoe companies you want to initially represent. That way you carry no inventory and yet have your own store.

As for saying you are not going to sell a lot of items at first, why limit yourself?

Featured Businesses (View All)